The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have off today and was still asleep when the wife went to work. Never expect anything on my birthday but this morning she had three gifts nicely wrapped and a card sitting on our kitchen island . They were big and seemed heavy and I would be lying if I wasn’t a little excited to open them . Anyhow l was shocked to find a 35 LB bag of corn and 25 LB feed block . With the season only a few weeks away looking at all this bait is like having a briefcase full of cocaine ready for distribution. Lol
Keep looking out the window to see if I am under surveillance. Anyhow she meant well but I would be embarrassed to return it and I feel bad telling her I can’t use it. Might just end up putting down in the woods on my property because I don’t hunt there and neither does anyone else . Is it still legal to at least do that ?

Food Cuisine Font Publication Metal

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
It's field tested and hunter approved!
I agree with beavsteve, get it hidden and put it out after the season. Thank her for it as well. No way would my wife attempt to get me something for hunting so ya got that going for ya!

Oh and happy birthday.

·
Registered
20,048 Posts
Killing a big buck over the block would be the icing on the birthday cake. Happy Birthday! I would put it out behind the house with a camera and see what shows up.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Happy Birthday Steel. Put it out back as you suggested. Grab couple lawn chairs for the both of you and enjoy the last hour watching the deer. You said it. It's the thought that counts.

I been there before getting gift's from my wife. I put on a good act, but inside my head i'm whispering ***. I write a list of things on paper when my birthday and christmas comes around. Hand it to her, happy hunting and surprise me.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
For years when my kids were little if I wanted something for Christmas or birthday for hunting I'd order it, stash the box, use it for hunting season, put it back in the box and have my wife wrap it. The kids saw me unwrap it and say thank you and never thought to look in the box to find a pair of used boots :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: steelhead125

·
Registered
22,691 Posts
Scent killer stuff could be useful right now. If you put out the bait, be careful about it. Remember, even if nobody hunts near where you put it, some poor slob 400 yards away that knows nothing about it could get pinched for it.

·
Registered
11,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Definitely a setup, Steel. She probably already has the Game Commission on speed dial. :ROFLMAO:

That's a great gesture and as others have said, I wouldn't even tell her. Happy Birthday!
Either a setup or she figures with the aid of the bait my season will be over before it starts because every deer within a mile will be feeding directly under my stand . Lol

·
Registered
Mathews Vertix, Easton FMJ 4mm, Rage Hypo 125
394 Posts
Haha happy birthday. I would throw it out back and see what comes up if your not around any hunting land. I actually want to do that at my house because it backs up to a nature preserve that is no hunting. Have walked back there a few times and seen lots of little bucks and a few decent 8’s that would be cool to see up close. Actually had a fawn yesterday come into the back and eat the birdseed that fell on the ground, and have had big does come and eat right off the feeder as well. Last year had a good 8 run through a few times in one day looking for does. Anyway put that stuff to work wether it be now or in the off-season and see what’s hanging around.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
You put it out, she takes a pic, then next year you are free to go on the vacation she wants to go on in Nov.... Be afraid, be very afraid...

·
Registered
11,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A doe and two young ones were on the bait about twenty minutes after I put it out . Hard to tell from the picture but I was only 35 yards away . They knew I was there but only would act a little skittish when I moved . These woods are connected to a wildlife sanctuary that has archery permit hunting. Everything in the picture is private and the boundary is probably over 500 hundred yards away. Last season I was seeing some nice ones cruising this hill in October and November. One 10 point in particular that I would shoot in a heartbeat.
Plant Plant community Tree Natural landscape Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
766 Posts
Happy birthday! I don't hunt our property until November, so I toss out apples in the woods right up to October 1st. You just can't hunt an area that's been baited for 30 days, so by the time November rolls around I'm good. That block will probably last about a week, so you could be good by the middle or 3rd week of October if you really wanted to.

·
Registered
11,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Happy birthday! I don't hunt our property until November, so I toss out apples in the woods right up to October 1st. You just can't hunt an area that's been baited for 30 days, so by the time November rolls around I'm good. That block will probably last about a week, so you could be good by the middle or 3rd week of October if you really wanted to.
I just can’t imagine shooting one while standing in my back yard. Also don’t want to deal with the hassle of having to get permission to recover it . I am fine with letting those who have a permit harvest them .
I did apply for a township permit about 7 years ago and never heard from them . This year a kind member here gave me a contact and I applied again but it looks like I am on the waiting list . This kind of hunting really isn’t my cup of tea but I don’t have time to really get anywhere after work so I guess it would be nice getting a few hunts in every week at home.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts