The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you believe in the moon phase having an effect on deer and other wildlife activity? forgive me if this has already been covered...Did a search and could not come up with any threads on the topic.

·
Registered
11,341 Posts
Yes. There is no doubt in my mind. I have seen it in the US, Canada and Africa on a variety of animals. Still, you have to go hunting when you can...

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Yes the moon phase plays a role in wildlife movement, but weather is also a significant factor to consider...regardless of what the moon is doing.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
yep, when there is a full moon or close to a full moon they're out later at night

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would say it has more to do with position than phase. Just like the tides, the moon's position relative to the observer is what it's all about. If the moon is overhead or underfoot at dawn or shortly after, I park it on a deer trail as they return from feeding. If the moon is right again during dusk or shortly before, I know I better be camped out near a feeding area. I don't even hunt in the middle of the day because I have to work, but I see plenty of action in the morning and evening if I follow the lunar position.

I personally think the phase thing is ridiculous. I'm a a computer programmer and an astronomy buff, so I know a thing or two. Think about it: what IS phase? It's the "age" of the moon on it's 29.5 day cycle. What the moon LOOKS like is unimportant. It's GRAVITY, however, is always present and is strongest when it's either over your head or under your feet. That's why it tugs the whole darn ocean in one direction as the Earth revolves.

I've been using this strategy for a few years, and a buddy recently told me about Hunt By Moon. It does all the calculations for you. Pretty cool.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I'm pretty much sold on by personal experience that the morning after a full moon is DEAD. Very few sightings the morning after a full moon. However the evening before the full moon night is a different story.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts