The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

is this chicken of the woods? it caught my eye along the road on this stump. must be about the size of a basket ball. how should i pick it and how should i cook it? also will it grow in the same spot nxt year? thansk for any help.

·
Registered
504 Posts
That's what it is,it may grow in the same place next year if it dropped spore on the tree or ground I would clean it cut it up & saute it in butter,fry it with deer steaks or fry it with scramble eggs like I do with my morels.

Ron

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, I juat got bACK FROM PICKING IT. it was kinda buggy but i cut it up and got about 5-6 cups worth i rinsed it off and i'm currently soakign it in water in the frige as i do with my morels. can i freeze these or do they ahve to be eaten right now. if i do freeze them do i do it the same as morels , flour and freeze in cookie sheet.? thanks for all yoru help

·
Registered
742 Posts
It looks sort of old. I've heard they are best eaten when young. I cut a young one up last year and sauteed it in butter. It didn't taste very good at all. My brother tried one that was prepared by his friend (breaded) and he said it was the best mushroom that he had ever tasted. My brother later cooked one himself and it was terrible. I wonder if there is a trick to cooking them or maybe you should only eat certain parts of it.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
I goot say, I come across Chicken-O-Woods all the time when I'm looking for Sheephead. I let them stay right where they are. They just aren't a very good eating muchroom in my opinion. Then again, there are people that don't like Morel's.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
they were jack-o-lantern.

·
Registered
21,005 Posts
Fleroo said:
I goot say, I come across Chicken-O-Woods all the time when I'm looking for Sheephead. I let them stay right where they are. They just aren't a very good eating muchroom in my opinion. Then again, there are people that don't like Morel's.
I found some chicken of the woods this weekend accross from my house.I fried them up in butter,garlic,salt and pepper.We ate them with the last package of backstraps from last year.It was awesome.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts