The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inside Middle Creek, here in Northern Lancaster County, EHD has been found. Lots of camera buffs take pics inside MC and this one was posted a couple of days ago.
Is the drooling a beginning sign of EHD ?

Plant Nature Natural environment Deer Organism

·
Registered
30,739 Posts
People also ask

How can you tell if a deer has EHD?

A: Infected deer become lethargic and lose their appetite, become weak, have bloody diarrhea, and show excessive salivation. They develop a rapid pulse and respiration rate along with fever, which is why they are frequently found lying in bodies of water to reduce their body temperature.

Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD) in Deer - ODFW

·
Registered
3 Posts
There tons of causes for excessive salivation in ruminants. EHD is obviously one but ruminants also can get bloat which causes excessive, frothy salivation.

·
Registered
30,739 Posts
does the rut cause excessive salivation ?
it seems to work on young guys chasing women at the bar, they all act the same as bucks and turkeys do. showing off their muscles (antlers) puffing out their chests, strutting and drumming, sizing each other up while the women sit there and just giggle...LOL

·
Super Moderator
12,960 Posts
Indiana and Ohio are getting hammered by EHD this season. I'd imagine areas of PA as well.

I suspect some of my areas have an outbreak. Middlecreeek and pymatuning have both been hot spots in PA in the past.

It's nasty when there is a local outbreak. Will take several seasons to rebound...especially the buck age structure.

I'm already looking at other places to travel this season as Ohio and Indiana aren't sounding good

·
Registered
13,430 Posts
Indiana and Ohio are getting hammered by EHD this season. I'd imagine areas of PA as well.

I suspect some of my areas have an outbreak. Middlecreeek and pymatuning have both been hot spots in PA in the past.

It's nasty when there is a local outbreak. Will take several seasons to rebound...especially the buck age structure.

I'm already looking at other places to travel this season as Ohio and Indiana aren't sounding good
I hope it`s not too bad this year at Pymatuning. I won a special archery hunt there for the first week of archery season. Crossing my fingers!!

·
Super Moderator
12,960 Posts
I hope it`s not too bad this year at Pymatuning. I won a special archery hunt there for the first week of archery season. Crossing my fingers!!

I don't know if it is or not....I know it's one of the areas of PA that tend to get hit. Those areas are tough to say because of Noone accessing the area. That's what is alarming to me about Ohio. A lot of pretty rural ground. The small amount of locals don't hunt public much and the archery opener is today. I'm guessing next time they update their map, it'll be much worse.

It's nasty stuff and from my observations, bucks partially shedding velvet seem to be the hardest hit. I found small bucks and does but the majority of what we were finding a handful years back was bigger racked bucks partially shedding or just freshly shed. I think like most bugs, the EHD transmitters are likely attracted to the blood. The bug doesn't purposely pick bucks or does and the disease will hit both sexes...just my theory the bugs are attracted to bucks due to the fresh blood being exposed.

Good luck on the hunt! I forget about it every year and never dig into how /when to apply.

·
Registered
13,430 Posts
I don't know if it is or not....I know it's one of the areas of PA that tend to get hit. Those areas are tough to say because of Noone accessing the area. That's what is alarming to me about Ohio. A lot of pretty rural ground. The small amount of locals don't hunt public much and the archery opener is today. I'm guessing next time they update their map, it'll be much worse.

It's nasty stuff and from my observations, bucks partially shedding velvet seem to be the hardest hit. I found small bucks and does but the majority of what we were finding a handful years back was bigger racked bucks partially shedding or just freshly shed. I think like most bugs, the EHD transmitters are likely attracted to the blood. The bug doesn't purposely pick bucks or does and the disease will hit both sexes...just my theory the bugs are attracted to bucks due to the fresh blood being exposed.

Good luck on the hunt! I forget about it every year and never dig into how /when to apply.
Thank you. I don`t have a guest and made a post about inviting someone if you would like to go with me. My big problem is nowhere to stay near there.

·
Registered
746 Posts
My observations over the years in multiple states struck by EHD are the same a mauser. Almost all have been velvet bucks or freshly shed. That being the case with this buck, I hope he (if that is what it currently identifies as) is not infected with it or he is probably dead by now. The only thing that can possibly be more frightening than that is if the buck was not social distancing and has COVID.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts