The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The law states that one can use attractant scents for hunting deer ( doe pee, buck scents,acorn and apple secnts, ect,ect). Some of the scents are used for attractants, while others are used as cover scents.
If someone took a 5gal.bucket and drilled holes in it so the air could pass through and around it, filled it one half to three quarters full with apples and hung it (8)ft. off the ground. The apples will slowly rot and as they rot there will be a strong aroma that is very appealing to deer.
There will be no apples or any other kind of bait on the ground. Would this be considered baiting or just using a natual attractant.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
It would be baiting using the apples as an enticement.

(8) Any artificial or natural bait, hay, grain, fruit, nut, salt, chemical, mineral or other food as an enticement for game or wildlife, regardless of kind and quantity, or take advantage of any such area or food or bait prior to 30 days after the removal of such material and its residue.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
so is vanilla a bait too?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
If that is indeed true then why are the doe pee, buck scents, acorn and apple scents and all of that kind of stuff not considered baiting? I am not trying to start an arguement, it just seems like store bought stuff is legal and natural stuff is not.

·
Registered
79 Posts
urine dripping from a tampon in a tree is NOT natural, however, i have nothing against it either.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
duckman76 said:
If that is indeed true then why are the doe pee, buck scents, acorn and apple scents and all of that kind of stuff not considered baiting? I am not trying to start an arguement, it just seems like store bought stuff is legal and natural stuff is not.
The latter portion of this post is what I was replying to.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I think the issue is FOOD or minerals thay can eat
that were transported to location by a human regardless
of your intent
VS scents have the implied intent of providing smell without food beeing present

presence of food or minerals transported to location by humans is considerd baiting
hope that makes sence

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
jlh42581 said:
Probably 8 years ago I called the PGC office in Harrisburg and spoke to a rather gruff person in law enforcement, John S?, and he said vanilla was ok. That was AFTER I called a regional office and they said it wasn't.

Going by what Harrisburg told me, I have used vanilla on a trail to stop a deer as it walked past.

·
Registered
11,398 Posts
jlh42581 said:
Excellent example of the distinction. John, correct me if I'm wrong.

Vanilla sprinkled on your clothes as a cover scent - legal

Vanilla spread on the ground or foliage to attract wildlife - illegal

·
Registered
13,869 Posts
loridr said:

That's always been my take on it as well.

·
Registered
11,398 Posts
My buddy likes to use vanilla as a cover scent. Problem is if I'm downwind of his stand, I have to leave the woods and go back to his house and eat some of his wifes homemade cookies.

·
Registered
13,869 Posts
Try the Mint/Vanilla combo! I use the fresh mint from the garden ground up in the pestel along with the vani extract, throw in some maple, spray down the clothes bout a week or two before. I still wonder why I see bears every opener?

·
Super Moderator
29,157 Posts
PADingo said:
loridr said:

That's always been my take on it as well.
+1
I've been using vanilla as a cover scent for years.

·
Registered
356 Posts
John S said:

(8) Any artificial or natural bait, hay, grain, fruit, nut, salt, chemical, mineral or other food as an enticement for game or wildlife, regardless of kind and quantity, or take advantage of any such area or food or bait prior to 30 days after the removal of such material and its residue.

John S. has placed the law above. Any type of food scent would be illegal whether in a drip bag or spread on the ground or hanging in a tree. There is no difference in placing acorns on the ground and putting acorn scent on a tab or rag near your stand. It is a food source that the deer would be coming in to look for. Apples in a bucket hanging in a tree is bait for sure.

·
Banned
10,667 Posts
dogtrnr,

not every type of food scent is illegal...if vanilla as a scent isnt illegal then how would acorn scent be illegal?

dutch, even spoke with harrisburg and they said it was ok. that is one person on these boards you can usually listen to and know you arent getting an uneducated answer.

correct me if im wrong. not trying to be a know it all just going by what i've read....

using vanilla as a cover scent is essentially using it as an attractant as well so i don't know where their are lines being drawn. especially, since harrisburg ok'd it.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
How can any scent be legal to use according to this law? Deer urine, food scents ect. are all made to entice deer. I understand they are also used to mask human odor but I don't see anyone using skunk spray or anything other than deer lure.
John S said:

·
Registered
79 Posts
i think what it comes down to is wether or not you are baiting, i cannot understand y Everything has to be broken down into its component peices, and analyzed for minute catches in the law.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts