The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a picture of what looks like a sheepshead. I have a picture, if someone could help post it for me, I would appreciate it.

I thought it would be a little early for sheepshead.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I have found them this early,it all depends on how much rain you had in your area.I'll be going out friday to check some of my spots.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Oops didn't read which forum this thread was in. Thought you were referring to the fish. My mistake

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
Definitely not a Sheephead, a better pic would help but my guess would be a washed out Chicken....just a guess however.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Looks like an old sulfer shelf(chicken mushroom). my son picked a few last week that were good.

We haven't found any sheephead yet.

I found a big cauliflower mushroom yesterday. It's the first of those that i have ever eaten We liked it alot.

·
Registered
732 Posts
IMO it's a giant polypore and it's not good to eat. I've seen at least 20 of those exact mushrooms in the woods by my house recently. The mushroom isn't in the Audubon field guide that I use but I believe it's a giant polypore. I couldn't find anything else close. I thought it might have been a black-staining polypore but it doesn't turn black.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for your help guys. After a little more research, I believe it is a polypore. I need to invest in a book if I want to make shroom searching a new hobby.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I would bet anything those are chickens past their prime. Definitally. Just lost the color. I found a fresh one tonight. Can't waity to eat it

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
I'm with you, about 99% certain they are old chickens. I found a load of them on Monday. I love those things!

·
Registered
732 Posts
I see dozens of these every year behind my house and they are always white and never orange. Maybe mine are albino chicken mushrooms. I've picked and eaten chicken mushrooms before. I'll have to get a pic of them.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
zhuntman said:
I see dozens of these every year behind my house and they are always white and never orange. Maybe mine are albino chicken mushrooms. I've picked and eaten chicken mushrooms before. I'll have to get a pic of them.
Yes, it could be a Berkeley polypore, not likely but could be...can't say I ever saw a Berkeley growing on a stump.

My screen shows a hint of Orange still remaining in the OP's picture.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Ripnmax said:
zhuntman said:
Yes, it could be a Berkeley polypore, not likely but could be...can't say I ever saw a Berkeley growing on a stump.

My screen shows a hint of Orange still remaining in the OP's picture.
Thanks, I had a pic on my phone of the ones I see all the time and it is a little different than the OP's photo. I'll post it later.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts