The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a remington model 700 chambered in .280 today at cabelas. It's topped with a bushnell elite 3200 with leupold rings and base. It has a bdl style stock on it. Production date is May 2003. I was just wondering if you guys could identify if it is a mountain rifle or what kind of 700 it is if it's not. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
looks like one - pretty sure the MR has an M in the serial number

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
I,m far from bein a expert.But I kind of remember the term Mountain Rifle bein thrown around a lot back when syn rifles started to really come on the scene for their lighter weight and bein pretty much wear resistant.Also with shorter barrels with different composition for weather resistance,SS for example.

·
Registered
881 Posts
It looks like it could be, they came with a lighter contour barrel, and matte finish on at least some of them. Run the serial number and you will know.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Yes it is. Its a "second generation" gun. DBM model
for the detachable box magazine.
I have the same gun in a first genny .280 with a hinged floor plate. They also came with a blind magazine option when they were introduced. One of my favorite deer rifles, you will not even know its there when you carry it, and modern .280 ammo is nipping the heals of 7mm mag ballistics. Nice find!

·
Registered
876 Posts
outstanding looking gun, i am looking at a 280 for a semi custom build this spring! let us know how she shoots and performs on game.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Very nice rig!! My mountain rifle had that pencil thin barrel mentioned earlier but was all stainless with kind of a cinnomon colored laminate stock. Shot friggin sweet chambered in 30 06. how young and dumb I was to sell. Was all stock as far as i knew

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Remington CDL DM (classic deluxe w/ detachable box magazine). Almost bought one when I worked the gun counter at Gander way back when...

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
You are correct MJY, that early pad fooled me ! They went to the Supercell I believe, which I think is UGLY ! Nice similar contours though, Id buy one.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I couldn't believe it when I saw it on the rack with a $599 price tag with that kind of glass on it. I picked it up gave a good inspection and walked it right into the gun library and said I'll take it. So the general assumption is it's a cdl dm?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I'm betting it's a detachable magazine mountain rifle. I have the earlier version also in 280. Does cloverleafs with 160 noslers. It gets sold when I'm in the box!

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
I have a first generation Mt rifle in .270 (floor plate model). I wouldn't sell it for the world. The recoil pad on this rifle is identical to the one on my rifle and the stock is very similar. Regardless, you got a great deal on it.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Its a CDL DM. I know this because I sold the things for almost 10 years and almost bought one for myself. There is no quessing needed guys.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts