The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm thinking of buying a .223 full size rossi single shot rifle and I was wondering if this is a good gun.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
I guess it would depend on how much you pay for it.I have seen a few Rossi rifles and they all seemed to shoot pretty good groups.

·
Banned
751 Posts
GREAT GUN FOR WHAT YOU GET, WHAT ELSE CAN YOU BUY FOR $200. I HAVE HAD THREE AND THEY ALL SHOT LESS THAN AN INCH, FOR $200 ITS A GREAT GUN.

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
Can't you get a Stevens bolt action for just a little more than $200?

I would think that its a way better gun than a rossi.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Marlin 925R Bolt Action .22LR. this is a repeater with a clip, good trigger, and they are super accurate.

Prices are between $180 - 190 at most places. Dunhams and Dick's have sales on them all the time.

·
Registered
25,524 Posts
Yeah, but the OP was asking about a .223 in a Rossi single shot?

Know several folks that got Rossi combo guns for their kids over the past few years and all seem happy with them, especially the kids.

·
Registered
889 Posts
"Good". Pretty tough word to define.

When I say the word "Good Condition" I mean to imply above average.

If I were to apply the term "above average" to a Rossi single shot then I would be lying to you. A Rossi single shot is definitely not above average. As a matter of fact it pretty well is below average. So the best rating I could give a Rossi would be "adequate". Meaning a tool that will get the job done. But definitely not nominal.

I have had experience with two Rossi's in 223. And one H&R in 223. Accuracy in the H&R was miserable. Accuracy in the Rossi's were at best acceptable for a truck gun. Rifles definitley did not shoot 1" 5 shot groups at 100 yards. More like 2"+. But the H&R was considerably worse.

IMO the H&R was worse because it had an incredible amount of freebore. I don't know why, but it did. Maybe they are trying to make them to work well with surplus ammo. I don't know. But it was bad.

If $200 is all you have. And it is buy a Rossi or not hunt, then I would buy the Rossi in a heartbeat. But that would be the only way. There ae too many considerably better rifles you can buy for just a little bit more money.

Keep your eye open for a good used rifle. Tom.

·
Registered
25,524 Posts
I've not seen too many complaints about the Rossi, but NEF/H&R break open rifles have always been a crapshoot,
according to some.

Fortunately, my NEF heavy bbl 223 is a keeper. It shoots my reloads, milsurp ammo and remanufactured Ultramax ammo, very well. The tightest bench groups I've ever shot with it, were when I was using Ultramax 55gr FMJ.

Have also thumped quite a few 'chucks with it and that ammo, some out to about 250 yards. But only with a safe backstop to avoid ricochets.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I got the NEF and a 223 barrel.
Not good for the heavy bullets but under 55 grains itll lay the ghogs out and I love it
Buddy has the rossi , he is happy with it , I can't warm up to it tho , but as I said , HE is happy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts