The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made no secret of the fact that I refused to support Romney and was voting for Gary Johnson. Where I do agree with the Dems the most is that the Republicans are out of touch with everyday Americans. Where I disagree with the Dems is the cradle to grave mentality and that Daddy knows best. I also think that both parties are reckless spenders.

So I came up with a list that I think is where most everyday Americans are politically. Is there a party out there that fits these criteria? Is this a platform that appeals to regular Americans? Not to the partisan hacks on both sides.

Here is is:

I am in favor of term limits of 12 years for congressman and senators.

I am for reducing congressional pay to a level that is comparable to what the compensation was when our gov't was instituted. It was a per diem and just for days they were actually in session.

I am for a mandatory balanced budget and against deficit spending with a national war time/ emergency exemption.

I am for a flat tax with no loopholes that kicks in above the poverty level. No Refunds just send in your percentage; that's it. This would lead to abolishing the IRS as we know it.

I think women should be free to decide what happens with their own body.

I am okay with gays being able to form some type of union with the same rights as married heterosexual couples.

I am for reducing federal entitlements drastically ( Welfare, SNAP, WIC and the like should be a temporary means to an end. And you should show responsible behavior and progress. This also includes the entitlements to farmers, Flood, Planned parenthood etc.

I also think if you have a child and you are on any type of public assistance, Birth Control should be mandatory until you are self sufficient.

Drug testing should be mandatory for any type of benefits.

I am for bringing our troops home and reducing the Military slowly to a National Defense type of role.

I am for vital infrastructure spending.

I think states should be free to allow for recreational marijuana use(regulated similar to alcohol).

I am for a foreign policy that says "we stay out of your affairs", but if you attack us or our interests the reaction will be a swift and catastrophic in relation to the act you committed against us.

I am for ending all racial preferences of any kind and having a color/ gender blind society, with stiff penalties if real discrimination can be proven.

I am for stopping all future Illegal Immigration using better enforcement against employers with heavy fines and stiff penalties for those that violate the policy. And a tighter border.

I am for abolishing the Tax Free status of all Churches.

I want a real solution to healthcare. I know that Obama care is not going to drive down cost, it is just going to subsidize the costs to others. And it is was a corporate(insurance/pharmaceutical) giveaway. I do know though that what we have now, is not working for all.

·
Banned
16,019 Posts
Well widow, we agree on just about everything that you mentioned there.

There is no party that lines up with everything you mentioned and let's be honest, a Libertarian will never win the White House.

But thinking that if the republicans just "soften their stance" on certain issues will allow them to win is a pipe dream IMO.

It is all about the entitlements nowadays. ANY PARTY that talks about cutting entitlement programs or limiting programs will never win because everybody wants "theirs".

·
Banned
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well widow, we agree on just about everything that you mentioned there.
I'm sorry it took so long to reply. I fell off my couch after reading that you agreed with me on "just about everything".

·
Registered
12,166 Posts
Interesting list and I agree with most of it. Question though; how do you reduce the size of the militay to a National Guard type level and then convince countries that would do us dirty that we will reply to aggression with a swift and catastrophic reaction? I would not want to see a construct in which our military was so weakened that our options for retaliation were limited to a letter of complaint and a nuclear weapon with nothing in between.

·
Banned
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not a military guru, but if our current military spending is roughly equal to what the next 19 countries combined spend, I'm certain we can afford to make some reductions.

We will bankrupt ourselves in the vain search for absolute security. ~ Dwight D. Eisenhower <span style="font-size: 14pt">®</span>

·
Registered
12,166 Posts
Do the countries you refer to have as many threats as we do? As many enemies? as many assets to protect? I agree that we can make some reductions, and probably smash some traditional roles, and it appears that we need more Special Operations assets to fight "asymetrical conflicts". But to have a military at National Guard levels and capabilities is asking for trouble. We've been there before, [censored] Germany and Imperial Japan counted on it and a tradegy of unspeakable porportions resulted.

·
Registered
20,482 Posts
You and I agree, my friend. We are Libertarians. And, while some may say, a Libertarian may never be president, I say every day Obama is president is a day closer for a Libertarian.

·
Registered
20,482 Posts
I dont have a problem maintaining a military base in a foreign nation. As long as those nations pay 100% of the costs of that base. You want our protection? No problem. Pay for it!

·
Registered
20,482 Posts
Flat tax? Darn skippy. Everybody pays the same percentage, throw the IRS on the trash heap (as should have happened decades ago). The wino under the bridge and Mark Zuckerburg should be paying the same percentage.

·
Registered
20,482 Posts
Worship what you want. I dont care, just dont push that crap on me. God, Muhammad, Allah, Buddah. I dont care, they're all the same to me. Just dont kill people in the name of one of them and we'll get along fine!

·
Registered
20,482 Posts
Weed? Legalize and tax! Just like booze. The war on drugs is a joke on the American taxpayer and it is no longer funny. Let's stop flushing money dwn the toilet.

·
Registered
12,166 Posts
Good data and thanks for sening on that link. Your list has many good points and, except for the military reductions, I do agree with your list.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
All good and mostly agree on many of your list items. Military wise, when we have both borders secured, then we can go invade somebody else. I have thought long and still debate as to whether to bring all the boys home and close all foreign bases. I'm at at about 50% reduction, but definitely get rid of the defense contractor deals.

Drugs, go ahead and make them legal, tax them, provide information in school and publicily about the effects of all. But do not fund all these rehab programs. If we say they are bad and you still do it, well its your fault, not your neighbors.

Abortion, you want to do it, you will answer to God, and i don;t want the government to fund it. Yes yes the whole idea of if you don;t pay for it now, you'll be paying for the kid the rest of your life is crap. Neither one teaches responsibilty for ones actions.

Term limits, yes, along with not being able to lobby in DC for at least 10 years after leaving office.

Flat tax and no credits, everyone has skin in the game, and yes the IRS will be no more.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I agree with most of it. Dont agree with gay marriage, abortion or a drastic reduction in the miltary. I do say quit protecting countries that hate us. I'll add one, stop any tax free status for a foriegner to open a business. You and i dont get that luxery and we lived here all our lives. Oh yeah and no more anchor babies. You break our law and blow a kid out and now we cant throw you out of our country?

·
Banned
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Right to Bear said:
I'll add one, stop any tax free status for a foriegner to open a business. You and i dont get that luxery and we lived here all our lives.
Where is that at? Seriously, my wife is a Visa/Green Card holder where can I sign her up for that?

·
Banned
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Where's the link? I'm not doubting it, but it's worth looking into. She and her brother own a solar company in Greece for the past 12 years.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts