The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a ticket last night. 1st one. Passed a psp. And was doing 55 which is what I thought the speed limit was. He didn't pull out. Kinda wondered what the speed limit was so we were looking. Passenger was even turned around trying to see signs. Never saw one. 6 or 7 miles later of no signs I got stopped. He gave me a break and hit me with failure to obey. But not sure how I was to know. Went back today. There is no signs.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
The sign that welcomes you to PA , from NYS, on route 220, always used to say. "Welcome to PA, speed limit 55mph unless otherwise posted."

I don't believe it still says that, also not sure what the law is in Pa for the situation you describe

·
Registered
919 Posts
Speeding
 The maximum speed limit in Pennsylvania is 65 miles per hour on certain portions of interstate highways and where posted. On unposted roads in urban areas the maximum is 35 miles per hour, and 55 miles per hour in other unposted areas

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Wonder what the legal definition is for rural, as opposed to urban interstate, and how one knows when he crosses the line from urban to rural ?

That cop may have cut you a break, but if he had wrote the speeding ticket, I would have seen him in court with the video showing no speed limit signs. And I would bet $100 that the JP would have tossed the ticket.

When it comes to all this BLM crap and anti cop stuff because of shooting a black criminal.........I am all about standing behind our police.
When it comes to a cheap ticket like some ......cop wrote you, I will see them in court.
I had it happen once to myself, and once to one of my drivers, took hearings on both, and easily won both.

Again, over all, I support cops, but not ones who enjoy writing [censored] tickets to support their ego.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Part 2. Well there is a little more to this. So the PSP trooper who wrote the ticket sat there as I pulled away. I passed a vehicle legally going up a hill and could see I was a good distance ahead when the trooper pulled out onto the Rd. I maintained about 5 mph over the speed limit. The trooper caught me in short order. Then pulled into the barracks. I waited a minute then called the barracks. Asked to speak to the trooper. He answered and I asked him why it's ok for him to speed and yet I get a ticket. He responded that he won't be badgered he could write me another ticket for speeding with points. and hung up on me. Not sure what I expected. My circle of friends includes a couple troopers current and retired and local LE who are great guys. Not like this guy. I'd bet the farm he isn't ex-military. The guys I know that are psp are all ex-military and know how to handle themselves professionally. I was never disrespectful and had a valid point. Yet the trooper chose to hang up rather then answer. Something he would not appreciate if someone else did to him. I'm sure he is pretty fresh. And he will mature. With all the anti police crap flying around its no time to act dumb with those who support you. Double standards bother me.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Did I miss where you mentioned what road you were on CF?

Unposted speed limits generally depend on whether the road is designated as Rural or Urban by the Secretary of the US Department of Transportation. Urban areas have a population of 5,000 or more as reported by the US Census Bureau,all roads not listed as Urban are considered Rural.
Sounds like a lot for the average driver to be able to determine on their own ,but the areas designated as Urban generally look populated.
The" failure to obey " ticket is indeed a break compared to a speeding ticket as it does not add points to your license.
From your description it sounds like you passed thru an urban area with a 35mph speed limit and by your own description may have been going more than 55mph. If that's accurate,that is at least a 4 pt. violation.
It's true that some LEO's seem to think that they are exempt from regulations that are adopted to make the highways safe for everyone using them.
It's also true that most won't debate the merits of a ticket outside of court.
A polite," you have the right to appeal this summons by pleading not guilty and I will be glad to discuss the merits in court" should suffice.
A cool headed approach usually works best by and for all.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Much of Rt 220 near Laporte is posted 45mph or 55mph.
Since Sullivan County has only about 6,300 residents in the whole county it's not likely you were in an Urban Zone.

Although the stretch of Rt 220 leading into and out of Dushore is posted 35 mph.
The area between Sonestown and the Sunoco Station near Rt 42,
Is posted 45mph.
A PSP unit regularly monitors Rt 220 traffic on the hill between Laporte and Sonestown. The hill is 55mph unless your over 26,000lbs.
I heard that we got a bunch of new Troopers stationed at the Laporte Barracks.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts