The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,849 Posts
Is that a Featherweight??? Looks like the only mod is the recoil pad. I have one just like it except for the pad. Nice pieces.

·
Super Moderator
7,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No. It has a rear sight base. It's a sporter/standard rifle.

The recoil pad and a pair of extra holes on the left side of the receiver for a scope mount. Those hurt on resale value, but I paid a pretty low price for this, so I was thrilled to snag it. Serial number dates it as a 1949-vintage rifle. I've read many accounts of rifles from that time frame being superb shooters.

The mount holes are plugged with screws. Finish isn't perfect, but pretty decent.

Not a collector's dream, but a pre-64 M70 for less than what a new Tikka T3 costs is a decent deal, I think.

·
Super Moderator
7,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is what I have heard. I cycled some handloads in it in preparation of range trip later this week. My current '06 handload seats the bullet out somewhat far, so I wanted to be sure they cycled in this rifle. They do, and boy, are they smoooooooooth.

I'm hoping this lives up to the reputation I've heard for rifles from this time-frame of being exceptional shooters.

For now, I mounted up a Leupold 1.5-5 scope I had laying around not doing anything. Not the best scope, but it'll do for now.

Been under the weather with a summer cold (man, I hate those!), hoping to get to the range later this week if possible. I want to try to go later on....let it not be AS hot, at least.

I need to shoot this and the 300H&H I just picked up....just to shoot them.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
CONGRATS on a great snag !!!

I've had the Model 70 bug for 25 years or better. I just never got bit by the pre-'64 craze. No particular reason. I guess it's just a case of so many guns out there and so little money to try them all.

Interested to hear how it shoots for you.

·
Super Moderator
7,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Strut,

I can tell you this...I got both the 300H&H I bought recently AND this 06 for less than the new FN-made rifles cost. The 300H&H was pretty close to the same price, but you can't get a 300H&H anymore.

My 300WSM is FN-made, and it's a GREAT rifle, made really well. It's an Extreme Weather version, sits in a true composite stock...not the injection molded plastic crap that my 30-06 Classic is in. That Classic shot well, then shot ho-hum to poor....couldn't figure it out. Pulled it out of the stock, then in one gentle tug pulled the stupid hot glue style bedding out of the stock!

I re-bedded it and installed pillars, also floated the barrel, and now the bugger shoots around 1/2" at 100 yards.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
WOW !!!!!!!

If you snagged a pre-'64 H&H for new FN money you should feel guilty !!!
THAT'S a great buy !!!!!!

I haven't checked out the new FN's real close yet. I've got a couple of the New Haven Classics (a Stainless STW and a wood/blued .300 Wby.) and an older .300 Win PF model. Also had a PF .308 Lightweight Carbine which I regret trading off years ago (I DID trade it for the PF .300 Win Mag 70). Regret it almost every day.

·
Super Moderator
7,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL, if one wants a pre-64 and is willing to concede on points that make for a collectible gun, deals are there to be had.

Here are the 4 M70's I owned prior to this most recent one I got (bringing the total to 5):

Left to right: FN-made Extreme Weather in 300WSM, "Classic" in 30-06, XTR FWT in 257 Roberts (push-feed), and the 300H&H I got a couple weeks ago, which is a pre-war M70.

I paid $850 for the 300H&H with 88 pieces of primed/prepped brass, RCBS dies, and an RCBS neck-size die. The Swarovski on it was mine, that wasn't part of the deal, lol.

That gun BADLY needs a new stock, I'm working on that.

The 30-06 I pictured at the top of the thread I got at a gunshow for $500 out the door.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Good lookin' stable of 70's right there !!!

I don't doubt I will end up with a pre-'64 one day. And it will definitely be a shooter.....not a collector.

I got the "collector bug" with a certain run of Model 94's and have found I don't have the right job to be a "collector".
I couldn't afford to start putting together a group of something else.

·
Super Moderator
7,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Me neither, lol, but with some careful negotiating and planning, I have some nice stuff. That '06 pre-64 that I have pictured in the start of this thread, I really hope it's a great shooter, as the rifle itself is fast becoming my favorite.

·
Registered
25,548 Posts
It needs a "vintage" scope to complete the package, my opinion? Just another of my persnickity hangups with old firearms.

Many years ago I scored a minty 1903 US Rem that had likely been sporterized back in the late 50s or early 60s. Beautiful rifle, just needed the "right" scope to complete the look. Remembered I had a very nice steel Weaver K4 around someplace, found it and put 'er on there. Perfect!

Haven't hunted with it lately, but it has taken at least three bucks and one or two doe. The K4 works very well in the woods and it's from roughly the same time period as the rifle was sporterized. Not only that, but the mint original blue/black finish on the Weaver perfectly matches the refinish on the 1903.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
If there is a 12-step, I should sign up. When Bass Pro heavily discounted M70s recently, I could not resist a new M70 Featherweight. It joins some push-feeds and a New Haven classic in the safe.

·
Super Moderator
7,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DennyF said:
It needs a "vintage" scope to complete the package, my opinion? Just another of my persnickity hangups with old firearms.

Many years ago I scored a minty 1903 US Rem that had likely been sporterized back in the late 50s or early 60s. Beautiful rifle, just needed the "right" scope to complete the look. Remembered I had a very nice steel Weaver K4 around someplace, found it and put 'er on there. Perfect!

Haven't hunted with it lately, but it has taken at least three bucks and one or two doe. The K4 works very well in the woods and it's from roughly the same time period as the rifle was sporterized. Not only that, but the mint original blue/black finish on the Weaver perfectly matches the refinish on the 1903.
I actually have a Weaver K4 I could switch off an M1917 sporter, but I'd rather not. For now, I have an old Leupold 1.5-5 on it, but that's because that was my spare. I'm picky about optics, and while I agree about appearance and the lines of a rifle, I want the best optics I can manage on my rifles. The 300 H&H has a Swarovski Z3 on it. Not real "traditional", but it's a kick-butt scope and will let that rifle hunt in about any lighting I will encounter.

I'm considering a VX3 for this one. I'm not a die-hard Leupold guy, but the Leupolds tend to have the right look with an older rifle. I would get a VX6 if I had the money AND if Leupold would get their head out of their rear orifice and get production up to par on the VX6. I'm fairly low on discretionary funds at the moment (gee, i wonder why? lol), so that's off the table anyway.

A VX3 is a great scope, though, and will do fine if I go that route. I get you on the classic scope idea, but my optics tastes push me another direction.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts