The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the 54 Flintlock being phased out ?

I have noticed this year more than any other of not being able to find 54 caliber flintlock accessories. I found that not much in stock in my shopping adventures {Cabelas to local shops}. Has anybody else noticed this? Has the industry become a 50 cal flintlock or nothing else?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Re: Is the 54 Flintlock being phased out ?

Plenty of .54 caliber stuff online. Most stores I've noticed carry .50 cal stuff. Most of the off the shelf muzzies are .50 cal, hence the supply of "fixins" are geared towards that.

·
Registered
461 Posts

if down around lycoming mall, just stop out at northeast traders` outside of muncy. it is a blackpowder store trapper john will take care of your needs.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts

jimsdad said:
No, the BP industry is not phasing out the .54.

Nope..if nothing else I see the 54 cal becoming more & more popular due to it's measurable advantage over the 50 cal in it's capability in outperforming the 50..

·
Registered
1,813 Posts

i have three 54s...it is hard to find stuff at big name stores for sure...like them much more than my 50s...i just try and buy stuff ahead of time online

·
Registered
6,486 Posts

When muzzy season started it was 45's everywhere.Then the 50 became the one to have.Bigger and better theory,the 54 is taking over.

·
Registered
773 Posts

Have my big bangin 54 for 20 years and love it! Never need parts, but ebay got it all!

·
Registered
20 Posts

Does anybody know who makes a left handed flintlock for the 54cal? Or is it possible to get a 3rd party bbl for my Lyman Deerstalker?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts

If Cabelas still markets their brand, you MIGHT be able to get your hands on their "Tarditional Hawken" in a lefty .54. I own one in right hand and it used to shoot the Rem. hunter bullets (410 grains and the Hornady Great Plain bullets inside of 2" at 100 yards. I lent it to my older brother about 5 years ago and he shot it 3 times and never cleaned it...for 3 months and now she shoots .530 PRB's wrapped in denim patches just as good, but now only to a max of about 75 yards.

·
Registered
12,324 Posts

54 gives the best performance of a hunting weapon without adding the weight required to make a 58 cal. 58 is more massive and creates a bigger hole, but there is an offset in velocity per grain of powder, trajectory and along with the weight of the barrel makes the 54 a more preferable choice than the 58.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts

Last I knew the Deerstalker was made in .54? My buddy has 1 and that was the reason he bought it as he shoots lefty.

·
Registered
12,891 Posts

mossie said:
That's how I feel about it. A 15/16" straight barrel in .54 caliber is about the best power to weight going. I have a drop-in percussion GM .54 that is going to get a flint plug after season. Heading out with my .50 right now.
That is what I am going to have built. A .54 with a straight 15/16 inch barrel. A lot of guys go with 1 inch or swamped but I want to try the straight 15/16 inch and TVM said it is doable.

·
Registered
295 Posts

zimmerstutzen said:
54 gives the best performance of a hunting weapon without adding the weight required to make a 58 cal. 58 is more massive and creates a bigger hole, but there is an offset in velocity per grain of powder, trajectory and along with the weight of the barrel makes the 54 a more preferable choice than the 58.
I know that the 54 shoots faster and flatter but with open sights I think it's irelevant. Also there is no mistaking a hit with the 58. However I really like the 54 and will own one someday.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts