The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
101 - 120 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Answers to unasked questions.

I get inovation and marketing, that's what drives industry. And I also understand that in the past, many rifles were not twisted as fast as they could have been. But there have been alot of excellent, yet basically obsolete cartridges, developed in the 50's, thru the 80's that had no issues except that they didn't really catch on with hunters and shooters. I'd expect the same with most of these newer offerings.

As far as the new "long range" fad, like many other things I beleive it'll sell some equiptment, much of which will never be used to shoot "long range." Sounds like fun, but where is the average shooter going to shoot 500+ yards? How many actually do it?
That very well may be the case in the long run but we are currently witnessing an unprecedented advancement in shooting technology that means we can now effectively out shoot the effective range of the cartridges and ammo in common use. Before a 300 yard shot was the max that most hunters would ever consider and 500 yards was possible only if they were using a real flat shooting magnum. These days a properly twisted .243 could be effective on deer sized game in excess of 500 yards.

In PA it is somewhat difficult due to the terrain but the farm we hunt has a field that offers shots from 150 out to 600 yards depending on where you sit and where the deer come out. Most of these long range rifles are geared towards hunting out west which is why Brownings X-Bolt line up is full of western themed rifles. Out west is a whole different game where spot and stalk is the premier way to rifle hunt for game vs the stand/still hunting we have here in PA. Long shots can and are routinely taken out there that would cross multiple property lines here in PA.

That being said there are a number of clubs in the state with ranges in excess of 200 yards and even a few out to 1000 yards. One of which is in Lewistown which is where I’ve went to shooting classes and shot out to 1000 yards multiple times.

·
Premium Member
24,188 Posts
I’ve been using a 270 for 20 years now but killed more deer with a 243 than anything

·
Registered
13,024 Posts
I was checking the prices of Remington 760s in 270 WIN on GB a few days ago, good grief..........
It`s just as crazy for 700 BDL`s. I`ve tried to find the one i want for a fair price for a while now. I might just bite the bullet and buy a new one once RemArms starts making them again and they said they were.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I've had a couple 270's, I regret getting rid of both of them somewhat. Ist was a 760 BDL and the other a Ruger No1 but in all fairness I did get a 1895 for the Ruger.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I'd compare all this new heavy for caliber long range technology and equiptment with the new hellcats and mustangs with 700 hp motors. Cool as heck, and many will be bought, but never used to their potential.
You are right, never had a motorcycle that I could hold wide open everywhere.

·
Registered
15,803 Posts
saw some 700s at a gun show for 1200 to 1400 bucks !
Askin' ain't gettin'.

I see bunches of old Remingtons coming out of the woodwork, everyone thinks they're going to get rich. I don't see too many selling, many get no bids.

·
Premium Member
24,188 Posts
Although Remington was top of the line at one time I used Savage most of my hunting career. Killed a lot of deer with a Savage still do today. I’d put my savage against any Remington anytime!

• Love
Reactions: bohunr and octagon

·
Registered
13,024 Posts
Askin' ain't gettin'.

I see bunches of old Remingtons coming out of the woodwork, everyone thinks they're going to get rich. I don't see too many selling, many get no bids.
I agree with both of you. They are shooting for the stars with these prices on BDL`s. I am so curious of the price and quality of the new ones when they come out. Anything less than nice walnut, fit, finish and bluing and I`ll pass on the prices they want for them these days. If not, I will check out a Winchester model 70 Sporter. I lose the open sights though, and that is really why i want the BDL along with i love the way they look and shoot.

·
Registered
15,803 Posts
It's not like that's a rare gun, 77's in .270 are plentiful and relatively cheap. $500 to $700 will buy you as many as you'd like.

It's not like it was a pre 64 model 70 supergrade carbine in .35 remington. That would cut into your retirement fund....$$$$

101 - 120 of 124 Posts