The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
81 - 100 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I think the "man bun" and the 6.5 Creedmore are both "new and trendy" things, hence them being equated.
I hate man buns. I think the 6.5 Creedmore is "new and trendy" but I neither love or hate it, nor do I have a particular interest in owning one. I might warm up to it, who knows.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I think the "man bun" and the 6.5 Creedmore are both "new and trendy" things, hence them being equated.
I hate man buns. I think the 6.5 Creedmore is "new and trendy" but I neither love or hate it, nor do I have a particular interest in owning one. I might warm up to it, who knows.
So far I’ve found it to be a good target cartridge that is very accurate and has good ballistics with little recoil, I took a couple deer with it one year but have since switched to the PRC for hunting as I like the extra speed.

·
Registered
905 Posts
So if the 6.5 Cm is the "Man Bun", is the 6 Cm the "Skinny Jeans"?

There's new life coming to the .270, just not the Win version. With the 6.8 Western, and now the .270 Nosler pushing heavier bullets than the ol' Win version, the caliber is about see an increase in interest. I'll keep to my Win version and 130s.

·
Registered
15,803 Posts
Used to be about a dozen popular calibers, and that worked fine. Now firearms and ammo manufactures seem to be trying to reinvent the wheel, and theres dozens of new ones in the last decade or two. Most will fail while the dozen that were popular last century will continue to survive, even prosper.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
With the cost of ammo already being insane, I think the cost of ammo on these new calibers will be prohibitive for many shooters. I inherited my dad's .300 Savage, and the cost for that ammo is crazy. Fortunate to have won some on GunBroker for $33 a box. I'll stick to my .270 for now.

·
Registered
375 Posts
With the cost of ammo already being insane, I think the cost of ammo on these new calibers will be prohibitive for many shooters. I inherited my dad's .300 Savage, and the cost for that ammo is crazy. Fortunate to have won some on GunBroker for $33 a box. I'll stick to my .270 for now.
i just saw a pile of the 300 savage but cant remember which store. i usually check dunhams in gibsonia and butler and rural king in butler. i know it was remington but not sure of the price. cabelas currently has hornady precision hunter 270 ammo in stock but 44.99 a box.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
i just saw a pile of the 300 savage but cant remember which store. i usually check dunhams in gibsonia and butler and rural king in butler. i know it was remington but not sure of the price. cabelas currently has hornady precision hunter 270 ammo in stock but 44.99 a box.
Painful isn't it? I'm partial to Remington CokLokt's.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Painful isn't it? I'm partial to Remington CokLokt's.
yeah. but what is worse is when i bought the 6.5x300 weatherby there was ammo available at grices. i waited one day to order it and it was out of stock. just my luck. i checked everywhere and found weatherby premium select 130 grain at a local shop . they had 2 boxes @ 119 a box. absolutely killed me to pay that but really want to get it sighted in.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
yeah. but what is worse is when i bought the 6.5x300 weatherby there was ammo available at grices. i waited one day to order it and it was out of stock. just my luck. i checked everywhere and found weatherby premium select 130 grain at a local shop . they had 2 boxes @ 119 a box. absolutely killed me to pay that but really want to get it sighted in.
Yikes!!! And I'm complaining about $33 a box for my .300 Savage ammo. Sounds like I've no right to whine...

·
Super Moderator
13,707 Posts
Don't think we need any more calibers as they pretty well cover the gamut small to large. It would be nice to have availability of current guns, ammo and reloading supplies in stores.....

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
So if the 6.5 Cm is the "Man Bun", is the 6 Cm the "Skinny Jeans"?

There's new life coming to the .270, just not the Win version. With the 6.8 Western, and now the .270 Nosler pushing heavier bullets than the ol' Win version, the caliber is about see an increase in interest. I'll keep to my Win version and 130s.
The biggest issue is the twist rates, the old 10 twist works well in the 30-06 but they held it for all the variations and it gets more limiting the smaller the bullet diameter gets. That’s part of the reason for the new cartridges so they can SAAMI spec a faster twist for the long high BC bullets coming out now. It’s more beneficial for them to create a new cartridge rather than load an old cartridge with a bullet that will be unstable in most rifles.

Just look at the .260, .270 WSM and the 30 Nosler, if they had faster twist rates then we wouldn’t have the 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.8 Western and 300 PRC.

·
Registered
15,803 Posts
The biggest issue is the twist rates, the old 10 twist works well in the 30-06 but they held it for all the variations and it gets more limiting the smaller the bullet diameter gets. That’s part of the reason for the new cartridges so they can SAAMI spec a faster twist for the long high BC bullets coming out now. It’s more beneficial for them to create a new cartridge rather than load an old cartridge with a bullet that will be unstable in most rifles.

Just look at the .260, .270 WSM and the 30 Nosler, if they had faster twist rates then we wouldn’t have the 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.8 Western and 300 PRC.
Yeah, cuz the 270, 30-06, 280, 7x57, 264 wm, 7 mm rm, none of those ever killed anything.

I do understand what you're saying though. The new "heavy for caliber" craze does require faster twists, although for 99% of shooters out there, it means nothing. An answer to a question that really hadn't been asked by the vast majority of hunters and shooters.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I'm not sure if it will take over in Pa. Owning 3 rifles in a 270 it just works to darn good. I think because of the vast quantity of 30-30's made, It would still rule the woods at least for juniors hunters and old timers, Much easier to lug around. Lots of time I would grab my bolt action 30-30 for deer drives.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Yeah, cuz the 270, 30-06, 280, 7x57, 264 wm, 7 mm rm, none of those ever killed anything.

I do understand what you're saying though. The new "heavy for caliber" craze does require faster twists, although for 99% of shooters out there, it means nothing. An answer to a question that really hadn't been asked by the vast majority of hunters and shooters.
It’s not really about the killing power of the older cartridges, it’s about avoiding the headache of people loading long range ammo into incorrect twist rifles then bashing the ammo company for their ineptitude. There are people that make custom fast twist rifles in those calibers however it’s easier for manufacturers to introduce a new cartridge than create a problem by retoolling the old ones. In 2016 I had to get a custom fast twist rifle and handload .300 Win Mag ammo to get what is now offered by a number of rifle makers and chambered in the 300 PRC. If I wasn’t already invested in the Win Mag I would be shooting the 300 PRC.

As for the majority of hunters and shooters not asking for them? The majority of hunters aren’t shooters and the majority of shooters aren’t hunters however the market segment where they overlap is what drives these developments. Old school stump hunters don’t practice enough to shoot far and target shooters don’t need the extra energy provided by these rounds so those in the middle who do both appreciate these developments.

·
Registered
15,803 Posts
Answers to unasked questions.

I get inovation and marketing, that's what drives industry. And I also understand that in the past, many rifles were not twisted as fast as they could have been. But there have been alot of excellent, yet basically obsolete cartridges, developed in the 50's, thru the 80's that had no issues except that they didn't really catch on with hunters and shooters. I'd expect the same with most of these newer offerings.

As far as the new "long range" fad, like many other things I beleive it'll sell some equiptment, much of which will never be used to shoot "long range." Sounds like fun, but where is the average shooter going to shoot 500+ yards? How many actually do it?

81 - 100 of 124 Posts