The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've talked to two guys recently who have told me they believe as far as bolt guns go the .270 is more common in the PA woods than the .30-06. I was at two gun shops on Saturday and I noticed more .270's on the racks there as well. Is it possible the .270 is the best seller here in PA at least in bolt guns? Also with ammo cost and availability being exactly the same between the .30-06 and the .270 is there any reason to choose the .30-06 anymore? No guide I've seen wants to see either one in Grizzly camp and I recently spoke with a BC moose guide who said that he's been a part of around 125 Moose kills and said he hasn't noticed a difference in killing potential in cartridges from .270 to .338 Win mag. He said the only cartridges he's seen a real difference in are from 35 Whelen and up. So the question is, does the .30-06 hold much of an advantage over the .270 anymore? In sales and practicality?

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
SOMEONE IS TELLING YOU STORIES OR THEIR SMOKING SOMETHING THEY SHOULDN'T...the .270 is a great cartridge, BUT it's not taking over and never will, just like all the rest....If I were to vote on the most popular, I say in Cambria and Clearfield Co. it would be the 30/06 Gamemaster, seems I see more of those tha anythig else..the bolt guns, a lot of 7mm Rem Mags floating around out there.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
270 seems like the cartridge of NC....most everyone I've talked to hunts with one...

They are so close in performance, its a toss....3006 imo has the edge due to slighlty bigger diameter and more versatility...125-220 grain bullets off the top of my head...don't think anything that big is made in .277...but I don't know for sure...

I do know most guys that hunt with one typically dislike the other for no real reason lol....

Myself, between the 2, 3006...just because lol...

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
the only thing that is taking over in PA is stink bugs.

The 270 has always been more popular west of the Missisippi, with the '06 king of the east.
Reason is western shooting is much longer range and the 130 silvertip was great and flat shooting. In the east (right or wrong) folks like BIG bullets. and we are really a deer hunting society.

Guides are smart...they want you to shoot what you shoot best. If you show up in grizzly camp with a 270 they figure that you could afford anything with the cost of the hunt, and the only reason that a dude would come with a 270 would be he was recoil shy of a big gun. Same with moose.

Actually, figuring deer hunter days in the woods, the 30-30 still rules PA.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have 5 270's in the gun case and only 1 30-06. Most of my hunting party and a good majority of friends I hunt with use the 8-270's then 5-243's then 1-30-06 as far as what my group uses. Not kickin down the 30-06. Just sayin what is used by us.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Harrysigafoo said:
the only thing that is taking over in PA is stink bugs.
you got that right!!!!!!

I have 2 30-30's and a 30-06. I like my .30 calibers. Ive shot 270 and 243 but i really like grouping and put down power of a .30 bullet

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Most of the guys I know at least own a 270. I can't say that for an 06 though. Just a thought I had when I read this thread.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
6-DASHER said:
SOMEONE IS TELLING YOU STORIES OR THEIR SMOKING SOMETHING THEY SHOULDN'T...the .270 is a great cartridge,
Give me a hit of that, brotha!...The 270, I believe, is not a rifle that many start out with, but that many "graduate" to after being bored with other guns...I wanted something suited to groundhogs, deer,in both the woods and across fields, and the 270 just seemed to fit..As time went on, I ended up shooting bears with it too...Never had a problem.I'd love to say it will replace the 30-06, but it will never happen because the '06 is so entrenched in peoples minds, especially folks who don't know much about hunting and are just casual weekend hunters (which are the majority).......Nothing wrong with that!

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
I thought once we all hit 40 we are supposed to switch over to the .270! Isn't that the unwritten rule?

How's the 150 gr on coyote?

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I got a .270 in a trade last year, perhaps I will manage to get out and shoot it this year. Did pick up another 06 and mounted scope on it so now a decision between the 06, .270, 7mm-08 or the 6mm.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I'm gonna say after guys have their fun shootin all the rest they settle down and hang with the .270 Win. As for the take over thats a hard one. So many 30.30's out there and 30.06's. I think it's like this take a MLB player he has to chew 5 pcs. of gum at once, wear same socks, touch his left eye, whatever thats how a gun and cal. is .If you ani't got THE gun it ani't goin to happen. You go to gun safe it's deer season 6 or 8 guns lookin at you and you always grab the same one, the good ol 270. Let them 243's,25.06's , 280's, 7mm's, short mags??? stay cause i'm gone deer huntin and i put my 270 with my knife and drag rope cause thats where it belongs. As i tie my boots i look at this tang safty Ruger blued and oil finish in .270 It's Pa. deer huntin at it's finest. Now if i can still get up that ... mountain.....later

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
mossie said:
I thought the 7mm-08 was taking over. It can do anything either the 270 or 30-06 can do in PA deer woods with far less kicking and screeming.
You need a loan to buy the ammo.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
I cannot believe these caliber debates come back every few weeks....

Were talkin DEER HUNTING in PA! Most guys never shoot past 100yds...most much less...but humans love to debate...and we all like what we like for our own reasons...in the end, gimme a 30-30, 270, 308, 300, 375, 243, 223 etc etc and I will show you deer killed with it....

There's a neat project...donate your rifles to me...I will test and evalute its performance and in return, will report my findings!

Wait...my collection is growing...I may not need donations...yep, someone donate a 270 to me for me to evaluate...I don't see myself owning one...308, 3006, 35 whelen...22-250 for groundhogs and song dogs...I don't need no stinkin 270...probably make all my other guns rust! Hahaha

Just havin fun...like I said, in the end after the dust settles, they are both long action and long range, the 270 has a slighttttt edge..but I bet 95% of the guys on here. Can't shoot well enough to notice...

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
When I bought my 30-06, dad already had his .270 and the local gunshop was out of them in a mod 700. He had a new Rem pump in .270 but I didn't like the feel of a pump rifle so I took the '06 in an ADL.

I always wished he had it in a BDL as I got tired of cranking them all out at the end of the day. When dad passed I took his .270 BDL more as a memorial to the man who took the time to make sure I was a good hunter. I have to admit the floor plate is handy.

Truly I haven't shot any deer that were further away than those I shot w/ the '06 and they all have been one shot kills, same as the '06 but I still reach for his .270 every fall.

One of these years I have to dust off the 8mm I haven't carried it in 40 years, just for something different!

·
Registered
25,496 Posts
I've never released the floor plate to unload a rifle yet in the past 30+ years I've hunted deer with bolt guns, but I guess some do? Just bump 'em out into the palm of my hand by stroking the bolt and done. Far faster and easier in my experience, but what the heck?

First time my honey came to camp in doe season, almost 20 years ago, she popped the floor plate on her M77 when we came in for lunch and sent cartriges flying all over the deck.

My bud and I looked at her, informed here that "We don't do that here" and showed her how to bump the magazine empty with the bolt, letting the ammo roll out into her left hand. Only took her a few tries and she had it down pat.

Actually, most of the time we just open the bolt, put that one cartridge back into the magazine and let our rifles out on the deck, loaded w/bolt open, while eating lunch.

More'n once I've hopped out there, grabbed the rifle and thumped a deer while I was at the cabin, so I like to be ready.

Never owned a 270, but have been shooting 30-06s and 25-06s for many years. No "big switch" to 270s where I've hunted deer since 1960, although there are a few around. Two or three of the local boys have switched to 25-06s, though.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
IMO, if the tide is turning in any direction, it's moving to some flavor of the .300 than the .270. Of all the rifles people I know have bought recently the vast majority is either a .300 or .300 WSM.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts