The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got 4 whitetails mounted over the past years and the past couple seasons i have taken a couple buck that are larger than the deer i have mounted. I didn't get the most recent/bigger bucks mounted because i'm running out of money and wall space for deer mounts. Was wondering if it is possible or efficient cost wise if you could remove the antlers from one mount and put the antlers from another deer on the mount.

Dumb ? but wanted to see if any TAXIDERMISTS could answer me, Thanks

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
im not a taxidermist but a friend of mine has done it himself on a few bucks that he has gotten from relatives that used to be small bucks like spikes and stuff and he would just cut the hair open on top of the deers head the antlers were just screwed in and then he would take the new antlers and put them in place and screw them in and put the hair back. the only thing i noticed is if the deer was a small deer and you put a big rack on him it looks kinda funny. but he does it for the same reason he doesnt have the money for a shoulder mount every time he gets a buck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Done it alot. and I must say Its always very easy when doing this if you have a dry preerve mount. However rehydrating a tanned hide is a bit more time consumeing but very possible and easy. The problems that you do run into is you may have to alter the skull cap a bit which we dont want todo. Also I for one dont personally prefer doing this but you can't always argue with a customer. I have run into some issues where I needs to cut the fur to fit properly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts