The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a bag of lucky buck (mainly a clover mix)is it too late to plant it? it says late spring early fall. i can have the soil redy in about a week and a half. should i plant then or wait? thanks

·
Registered
366 Posts
I say plant it. Get those antlers growing!!

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
treestand91 said:
i got a bag of lucky buck (mainly a clover mix)is it too late to plant it? it says late spring early fall. i can have the soil redy in about a week and a half. should i plant then or wait? thanks
At this point, I'd hold off until later in the summer/early fall. Planting clover know, if it doesn't get enough mositure, it may not germinate well or if it does germinate, the seedlings could die of "thirst".

·
Registered
155 Posts
What kind of clover is in that mix? Probably wait a bit and get it seeded in the late summer where it will have a chance to establish roots before the first frost, then in the spring it will be ready to grow early. If it has an annual clover like berseem in it, wait until spring. No sense in wasting it.

·
Registered
802 Posts
with the amount of rain we been getting, i would plant now. i just nuked a small plot to plant and will be planting this weekend. WI clover will be going in.

·
Registered
777 Posts
My OP wait and plant it in the fall with a cover crop like winter wheat or rye.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts