The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
16,959 Posts
..this may help for all that can't comprehend what he is sayin.....

Game Wardens = bad hunting/no deer
Police = more crime and criminals
Doctors = more sickness/bad health
eating utensils = obesity
Writing utensils = misspelled words
Keybroads = misspelled words too !

·
Super Moderator
13,705 Posts
Interesting range of responses - although not nearly as stimulating when compared to the deer management debates on HPA of 20 years ago.

As a personal perspective, my father always insisted on hunting in areas available to all hunters, such as public lands and open private lands. We did not hunt posted private lands. “Otherwise, you can never be proud of your deer.” As such, I continue to honor the traditions of my father’s generation. As expected, I have encountered dozens of game wardens in the field over the years (with no citations) - and dozens more at various PGC events.

Hunters on posted private lands likely have a much different experience.

In my experience, the law enforcement mentality is far too embedded in state wildlife agencies. When merged with a leadership appointed by the state’s political leadership which avoids direct accountability to the stakeholders (hunters), the combination of politics and law enforcement is usually detrimental to wildlife management.

For decades, surveys of the “most trusted professions” found the trust of politicians is less than 20 percent. In other words, over 80 percent of folks do not trust what they say or do. To confirm, Google “most trusted professions.”

Regrettably, the composition of the leadership of state wildlife agencies (such as the PGC) reflects the demographics of the times, mainly aging baby boomers in their prime hunting years. Empowered by the authoritative culture, they have the legal authority to impose their political will on other hunters, a selfish attitude.

Over the years, the PGC game wardens have inserted themselves in the politics of the PGC, such as license fee increases and deer management. Whereas, a number of other states intentionally separate law enforcement from the politics.

In the 1990s before Marcellus gas, the PGC game wardens strongly advocated for a license fee increase because of inflation. In actuality, the depletion of the Game Fund was caused by the growth in employee costs from the “law enforcement package” negotiated by their union.

The game wardens also strongly supported the deer herd reduction in the 2000s even though the PGC was already managing deer (since the early 1980s) at one-half of carrying capacity to achieve maximum sustained yield. Given game wardens spend the majority of their time in the field, they could not recognize the difference between a statewide deer population at 100 percent of carrying capacity (fully stocked) versus the existing population at one-half. The portrayal as a minor oversight is disrespectful.

Prior to AR with the deer population at one-half carrying capacity, I harvested five antlered bucks in six years on the ANF. Each of the five bucks met future AR criteria. During the 1990s we had a dozen camp members, an annual reunion to renew bonds between family and friends. In contrast during the last 19 years, I harvested only two antlered bucks and our camp currently has two remaining members. There were years when I hiked five miles with a cover of snow and did not cut a deer track.

As in a pottery store, if the PGC game wardens break it - they own it.
I have some sad and probably disturbing news for you. It wasn't the Game Wardens or the Game Commission who broke your ideas of what good deer hunting or what deer populations had once been. It was the deer themselves combined with the changes in their habitat that changed their numbers and also the need to move from the failure of trying to manage for a maximum sustained yield. Once the deer proved the need for the changes in management direction only foolish people who have never understood the relationship between the food supply and the deer population wanted to continue on that old antiquated and failed deer management strategy of trying to keep more over winter deer than the habitat could sustain.

The deer management program in place now is working much better and providing for a much more realistic future for both deer and hunters than the old and failed maximum sustained yield concepts.

Of course it is well known that the entire deer management program is beyond the grasp of some of our older hunters and that is certainly true of most of the USP members and a few of the other like minded clubs.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
16,959 Posts
i totally disagreed with the PGC and ALT after a few years of trying to find some deer. in fact, i got so tired of it, i actually sent e-mails and posted on here about how its all messed up. i also agree that some areas have way to few deer and some have enough, not to many :) but just enough.
i was told to go further into the woods...well, i did that, and came out the other side. still no deer. then i did what i have been telling others to do and i started seeing deer. i now have two farms to hunt, help with chores on occasion and hunt these properties year round. i have no problem getting multiple deer, even had the local game warden give me one, one year after checking our licenses.
the PGC and its employees are not the problem anymore than the spread of covid-19 is Trumps fault.

ITS THE PEOPLE !!

41 - 44 of 44 Posts