The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say a person who lives with his parents in Pa. buys his hunting license, doe tag, etc. then moves out of state. Is the license still good? What if they have a new address in new state but keep using their parents Pa. address?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
When you move out of state you become a nonresident on that day. It is illegal to use an in state address if you live out of state and becomes very expensive if you get caught, especially if you have killed something on the bad license. It is much cheaper to buy the non resident license, and it is being honest.

·
Registered
441 Posts
John S what if your a student attending a college out of town? I know when I returned home from Georgia all I needed for a resident hunting license was proof that I payed state income tax.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
PA is 30 days for residency. Most other states are as well. That means your a non resident of both states for the first 30 days. Don't move during hunting season.. could get expensive.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
You are not a resident of PA for 30 days after you move out, the day you move you become a non resident for the purposes of residency.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I realize that John. I wasn't disagreeing. I was making the point that you are a non-resident of both PA and new state for the first 30 days after your move. So... if you wanted to hunt either state in that time period you would need a non-resident lic. for either state. Make sense?

·
Banned
3,541 Posts
Ok, here is a question for you guys.

I am a PA resident, who attends college in NY. NY will allow me to buy a resident license after showing the agent my college schedule.

If I am catching your drift, when I leave for school, my PA license is no longer valid and I have to be home for 30 days before I can use it again?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Unless a college student legally takes residency in another state they are still residents temporarily living out of the state. However, if they legally change residency by changing vehicle registration and drivers license, paying taxes in that state for whatever perks it may get them in that state, they are no longer residents of PA until they move back and change residency again. In PA for example there is less tuition in state schools if a student is a resident of PA. I had many cases where non resident students claimed to be residents of PA while going to Millersville University while having out of state drivers licenses and vehicle registration. A quick trip to the bursar's office told me if they were paying resident or non resident tuition.

·
Registered
8,550 Posts
Oh boy.....here we go.........

·
Banned
3,541 Posts
There's nothing wrong about it, Its just how NY works. It allows cash strapped college kids, attending college in NY to save some bucks on licenses.

Per NYSDEC:
Active members of the US Armed Forces stationed in NY and full-time college students in residence in the State during the school year (proof required) qualify for annual resident licenses.

I just bring my ID card and my class schedule to the issuing agent, and it saves me Mega Bucks.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
When in Rome, do as the Romans, when in NY do as NYers and When in PA, do as their law requires, pretty simple.

·
Super Moderator
29,487 Posts
No, as long as you are still a resident of PA. NY is allowing you to purchase a resident license because you're in school there. They don't consider you a resident of NY, you're still a PA resident. It's the same as when I was stationed at Griffiss AFB when I was in the Air Force. Had resident licenses in both NY and PA.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Count yourself lucky. You get two resident licenses due to NY's special regs for college kids.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts