The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a tanned coyote that smells like....
well, a wet coyote,
also the leather isn't real soft and has no stretch.
Can I wash this critter and degrease it, and apply liqui-tan
to it?
Also is it possible to break a hide by just using a tumbler?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Yes and no....Yes you can probably get the skin softer by applying liqua-tan, but it still won't have the softness and stretchy qualities of a fur that was professionally dressed.
Most tanneries use a tumbler to break the hides. Thier tumblers are 60 ft. long and 20 ft. high. They tumble skins in them for a very long time to get them soft. If memory serve me correctly it is something like 2-4 months.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!!
but, what does the tannery do different that gives the leather the stretch?
I did a red fox that came out very soft and had a good bit of stretch, and used the same method as the coyote.
Could this be a ph problem during the pickling stage?

I had no idea the tanneries had such a beast, and let them tumble so long
Thanks again

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
its usually the thickness of the skin compared to the time that was spent breakin that particular skin
fox skins are generally thinner than coyote also
liqui tan is not the type of tan than is best suited for garment type pliabilty. liquitan is best for taxidermist doing mounting type applications. however knoblochs do sell a softening agent that will help acheive the results you guys are lookin for. arrowhead is correct that a tumbler is a key ingredient in softening these hides. unless you want to hand work them or even chew em like an old sqwau.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts