The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to take my crossbow into the shop but wanted to touch base with experienced people here first. I haven't posted in a good long while because I was finishing my Master's degree and took off for all last season. I went up to prepare for the late season (I only hunt late season) and practice shooting and sighting in my bow. I was all ready and I found I could not cock the darn thing. Either I'm suddenly weak or there is something wrong with it! I could pull back about halfway up the rail, then no more. I've always been able to cock it myself in the past. I can swim a mile so I know my shoulders and back aren't in too bad a shape. I've searched around for what it could be but would love to hear any insight. I am a woman with shorter arms so it's always been a little hard to cock but this has never happened before!

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
If everything looks good... maybe the rope on the cocker streched...do the handles touch the pullies before you start to draw?
Too much slack puts you at a disadvantage at the end of the draw...if the rope did stretch you should be able to shorten the stroke by adjusting the knot in one of the handles...good luck.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Is it an excalibur? If so make sure the cocking rope is over the rear of the crossbow (near the locking mechanism) before started to draw back.

·
Registered
18,622 Posts
I would first inspect the string and cables to make sure they appear to all be where they should be. Also make sure you are placing the rear of the rope in the right spot on the bow prior to cocking. Putting it in the wrong spot, would result in you possibly running out of leverage or rope while cocking. If you still can't get it cocked, I would recruit someone else to try to cock it to see if it indeed can make it through the entire cocking stroke. If it can be fully cocked, discharge it safely, then try shortening the rope a bit which increases your leverage. You might have to pull the string up with one hand to get it hooked onto the hooks of the cocker after shortening the rope.

·
Registered
10,657 Posts
You did not tell us if you were using a cocking rope. Are you? If you are I would suspect dpms identified the problem.

Let us know the type of bow and if you are using a cocking rope.

Reactions: Danesdad

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
...Also make sure you are placing the rear of the rope in the right spot on the bow prior to cocking. Putting it in the wrong spot, would result in you possibly running out of leverage or rope while cocking...

Yep, I suspect that is the problem.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
If it's been sitting as you say, i would go right to a qualified shop. Explain the problem and have them look at it. Cant underestimate the value bbn if a great shop....plus you should be able to shoot at an indoor range they most probably have to make sure things are square.

·
Super Moderator
12,646 Posts
My wife had the same issue all I did was shortened her cocking rope.

After I had tricep surgery I rolled around on the ground trying to cock my crossbow and I could not quite get it there. Tried for 10 minutes. Finally I shortened my cocking rope until I had to pull one side of the string up slightly to hook it on the rope to begin my pull. I am using my legs more with the pull at a lower level and it is much easier.

Just be certain that the rollers on rich side of the rail are close to the rail and uniform on the pull.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
not sure , but maybe something wrong with your pullies (cams) . your local bow shop should be able to figure it out for you. good luck

I was thinking it might be the cams. I'm taking it in as soon as I can! I have never heard them called pullies before. Learn something new every day!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If everything looks good... maybe the rope on the cocker streched...do the handles touch the pullies before you start to draw?
Too much slack puts you at a disadvantage at the end of the draw...if the rope did stretch you should be able to shorten the stroke by adjusting the knot in one of the handles...good luck.

Oh, that could be the case. It did feel like it just was way too long and my arms were way too short to pull it back.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is it an excalibur? If so make sure the cocking rope is over the rear of the crossbow (near the locking mechanism) before started to draw back.

It's a Barnett Recruit (compound). I reviewed the procedures for cocking it in the manual before I started just because it's been a whole season.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You did not tell us if you were using a cocking rope. Are you? If you are I would suspect dpms identified the problem.

Let us know the type of bow and if you are using a cocking rope.
Go on YouTube and see if you can find your exact bow and see how they cock the bow.
I would first inspect the string and cables to make sure they appear to all be where they should be. Also make sure you are placing the rear of the rope in the right spot on the bow prior to cocking. Putting it in the wrong spot, would result in you possibly running out of leverage or rope while cocking. If you still can't get it cocked, I would recruit someone else to try to cock it to see if it indeed can make it through the entire cocking stroke. If it can be fully cocked, discharge it safely, then try shortening the rope a bit which increases your leverage. You might have to pull the string up with one hand to get it hooked onto the hooks of the cocker after shortening the rope.

Barnett Recruit and using a cocking rope. I did take a look at Youtube and I'm doing it right. I also inspected the cams and string and everything looked OK. I am hoping taking it to the shop will clear up whether it's me or the crossbow - I'll let them try to cock it and then I'll know. The stretched out rope would make sense to me.

Thanks for responding, all! Very helpful.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If it's been sitting as you say, i would go right to a qualified shop. Explain the problem and have them look at it. Cant underestimate the value bbn if a great shop....plus you should be able to shoot at an indoor range they most probably have to make sure things are square.

Yes, totally agree! The place I am going has a crossbow setup so I will be able to shoot it there.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

After I had tricep surgery I rolled around on the ground trying to cock my crossbow and I could not quite get it there. Tried for 10 minutes. Finally I shortened my cocking rope until I had to pull one side of the string up slightly to hook it on the rope to begin my pull. I am using my legs more with the pull at a lower level and it is much easier.

Just be certain that the rollers on rich side of the rail are close to the rail and uniform on the pull.

It's frustrating because, theoretically, my shoulders and back are in great shape. I have been swimming a lot and can swim a mile with ease. I have to admit it the whole thing made me feel very out of shape!

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
WestPhilllyFam. couldn`t remember right terminology for the cams but you got the point of what I was saying though. good luck and let us know how you made out.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts