The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that flintlocks are not considered loaded if the pan is empty, for transporting purposes. But what about cross bows? If I choose to transport home with the bow cocked, without an arrow, is that OK?

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Legally I dont Know .but as far as for safety reasons it is not a good Idea . If it was to go off it would probably break the limbs aka dry fire

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
When my grandfather hunted with a crossbow he always carried an arrow with a field point in the quiver. He used it to uncock his bow. He would just shoot it into something that wasn't hard. Normally a mound of dirt or something similar.

·
Super Moderator
13,617 Posts
Why have it cocked, if you are not in the act of hunting? I would think being cocked all the time would stress and weaken the limbs.

·
Registered
482 Posts
You can possibly hurt yourself bad by trying to manually uncock it. Remove the bolt when you are done hunting and when you get home use and old arrow to shoot it at a target. I agree leaving it cocked for a long period of time is not a good idea for wear and tear reasons.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
John S said:
It is not a good idea because if it releases in the vehicle the limbs could shatter and throw pieces around the vehicle. There are ways to decock without shooting it but the easiest solution is to carry a crap arrow and shoot it into the ground.

http://hunting.about.com/b/2009/09/23/how-to-decockuncock-a-crossbow-using-a-rope-cocking-aid.htm
Good point about limbs shattering. Hate to see the condition of that bolt after a few firings into the ground. As long as the 'soft ground' is available, do it, better idea.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I thought it is illegal just to shoot your weapon while in a hunting scenario. I know somebody who took a practice arrow and would shoot it on every hunting trip at a leaf from his stand. He then stopped because he was told it was illegal and he showed me where it said in the digest that it was illegal.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Its perfectlly legal but as others have said not a good idea. Heres the code that applies;

§ 141.15. Loaded firearms or devices in vehicles.
For the purpose of enforcing section 2503 of the act (relating to loaded firearms in vehicles), the term loaded firearm includes the following meanings:

(1) Any centerfire or rimfire firearm that has a live shell or cartridge in either the chamber or magazine.

(2) Any muzzleloading firearm that has a live charge of ammunition in its firing chamber and a primer, flash powder or a battery, which ever is applicable, properly positioned in the firing mechanism of the firearm rendering it capable of discharge.

(3) Any crossbow that has been cocked and has a bolt affixed onto the string or positioned into the firing mechanism of the device.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts