The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are you allowed to trail an animal with a safety zone or then retieve it?

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
only with permission

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Mike Barcaskey said:
even if you own the property?
If its your property , give yourself written permission, then show the written permission to yourself if in doubt.

Repeat above directions until you recover deer.

But seriously if your property is in someone else safety zone you need thier permission.

·
Registered
424 Posts
R.W.J said:
Mike Barcaskey said:
even if you own the property?
But seriously if your property is in someone else safety zone you need thier permission.
Only if it needs to be finished off. If it is dead on your property which lies in someone else's safety zone you can retrieve it. You can't discharge a weapon in someone else's safety zone without their permission, your property or not.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Not true, the law below:

Sec. 2505. Safety zones.
(a) General rule.--Except as otherwise provided in this title or to any political subdivision, its employees or agents, which has a valid deer control permit issued under section 2902(c) (relating to special categories of permits), it is unlawful for any person, other than the lawful occupant, while hunting game or wildlife, taking furbearers of any kind, or pursuing any other <span style="font-weight: bold">privilege granted by this title, to hunt for, take, trap, pursue, disturb or otherwise chase any game or wildlife or to discharge, for any reason, any firearm, arrow or other deadly weapon within or through a safety zone, or to shoot at any game or wildlife while it is within the safety zone without the specific advance permission of the lawful occupant thereof</span> You do not have to shoot to be in v iolation.

·
Registered
24,761 Posts
Some of the dog guys just train ing there get into safety zone issues from time to time...Not even in hunting seasons... Just dog training...

If The occupant of the safety zone complains the WCO's don't have alot of choice in the matter...

Just the way the laws are written...

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so again if i am on my property, have permission to be someones property or better yet on SGL, but a deer dies within the safety zone of someone who is not present (they can live in another state or may be on vacation), what happens?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Your the last person I would dispute, so don't take this the wrong way...
I'm trying to learn where my misinterpretation is...
I was interpreting the above to seem to discuss live game, not the retrieval of a dead animal.

"to hunt for, take, trap, pursue, disturb or otherwise chase any game or wildlife" seems to suggest a live animal, thus my emphasis on NOT being able to pursue wounded game, as opposed to retrieving dead game on their own property within the safety zone of another.

Although in the definitions, "TAKE" includes "collect". Is that where my misinterpretation is?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
NA_Wreckdiver said:
Your the last person I would dispute, so don't take this the wrong way...
I'm trying to learn where my misinterpretation is...
I was interpreting the above to seem to discuss live game, not the retrieval of a dead animal.

"to hunt for, take, trap, pursue, disturb or otherwise chase any game or wildlife" seems to suggest a live animal, thus my emphasis on NOT being able to pursue wounded game, as opposed to retrieving dead game on their own property within the safety zone of another.

Although in the definitions, "TAKE" includes "collect". Is that where my misinterpretation is?
I've never seen 2505 (Safety Zone statute) interpreted to mean that a violation would exist if a deer that you shot outside of a safety zone expires on property that you own, but is now inside an adjoining property owner's safety zone, and you are only within the safety zone to tag & retrieve your deer. You are not hunting at that point !

The word "retrieve" is absent from 2505. If you are following/tracking/trailing/disturbing a wounded deer into a safety zone that you do not have advance permission to be in, then a violation would exist. The key element here would be that you knew the deer was dead before you entered the safety zone, and at that point you were simply retrieving the deer.

Since the definition for "take" (T34, 102) includes "collect" and "possess", I could construct an interpretation of 2505 that if I was simply possessing wildlife (when I return home from hunting) in my yard, and my yard is within a neighbor's safety zone, then I would be in violation of 2505 ... but that interpretation wouldn't get very far with the MDJ !

·
Registered
12,089 Posts
WCO's don't have alot of choice in the matter...

Yep, throw common sense out the window.

I wish local police officers would cite folks just because it is the way the law is written.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Pa-Plinker said:
Since the definition for "take" (T34, 102) includes "collect" and "possess", I could construct an interpretation of 2505 that if I was simply possessing wildlife (when I return home from hunting) in my yard, and my yard is within a neighbor's safety zone, then I would be in violation of 2505 ... but that interpretation wouldn't get very far with the MDJ !
That's were I'm coming from...
Unless we're both missing something here, I think in that SPECIFIC circumstance, it is a classic case of "spirit" vs. "letter". I wouldn't want to have to prosecute that.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
If you are tracking a deer (dead or alive, and it was obviously alive when it entered the safety zone) into a safety zone, you are absolutely in violation.
If you shoot a deer and the deer drops inside a safety zone, you need permission from the lawful occupant of that safety zone in order to NOT be in violation. It doesnt matter if you own the property or not, if the lawful occupant of that safety zone doesnt give you permission to "hunt" (meeting the definition of any part of hunt)you may not enter that safety zone to get your kill

Not a difficult thing to understand, if youre going to be hunting near houses (safety zones) get permission first

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the deer is shot outside the safety zone but enters the safety zone and dies. if you can not follow, because this is considered hunting so is retrieving, and you can not get permisson because that person is unavailabe because they are away or lives in another area ( like a camp) or is a corporation or is a government building; but the property th e trail is on is owned by someone else, what do you do.

·
Banned
4,988 Posts
If you know the owner is from an other area, call PGC.
To not have this cituation, why not contact the owners before season and get permission if a deer goes on thier property to get it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts