The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Yes, but there is a blade length max. I am not positive i think a four inch blade on a lock blade knife is max. Maybe someone else would know for sure.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
If you couldn't carry a knife........how would you dress out your deer??

There is no blade length in PA, however......cities like Philly may have some type of law/ordinance in place.

Carrying something like a folding Buck knife is one thing, having a USMC Kabar knife on your side might get you charged with a "prohibited offensive weapon"......if your walking around in the city. Whether or not the charge would stick is another matter.

Walking around in the woods wouldn't get you a second look.

I always, always carry some type of pocket knife with me. Doesn't matter if I'm in the woods or not.

·
Registered
670 Posts
The only restictions on knives is if it were spring loaded(switchblade) or if you went onto school property with a knife. Or if your knife was found sticking in someone's back.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Actually, new federal (Obama administration)regulations make a none switch blade (switchblade =s pring loaded to open when button pushed) into a switchblade IF it has a blade open assist stud. That means the little knob found on lock back knifes that most of todays knifes, are now classified as switchblades under federal regulations.
How this will impact state enforcement isn't know yet.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Steve in PA said:
If you couldn't carry a knife........how would you dress out your deer??

There is no blade length in PA, however......cities like Philly may have some type of law/ordinance in place.

Carrying something like a folding Buck knife is one thing, having a USMC Kabar knife on your side might get you charged with a "prohibited offensive weapon"......if your walking around in the city. Whether or not the charge would stick is another matter.

Walking around in the woods wouldn't get you a second look.

I always, always carry some type of pocket knife with me. Doesn't matter if I'm in the woods or not.

So there is no difference between concealed and open carry of a knife in PA?

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
There are no laws governing the carrying of a knife, whether it is in your pocket or on your belt.

I have been told that some cities, mainly Philly have come up with their own limitations on what type of knife (length) you can carry.

We have state law that says on the Commonwealth can make and pass gun laws, but we have no such restriction when it comes to knives.

Like I said, I have carried a pocket knife of some sort pretty much since I was 18 years old.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Harrysigafoo said:
Actually, new federal (Obama administration)regulations make a none switch blade (switchblade =s pring loaded to open when button pushed) into a switchblade IF it has a blade open assist stud. That means the little knob found on lock back knifes that most of todays knifes, are now classified as switchblades under federal regulations.
How this will impact state enforcement isn't know yet.
Nothing quite like injecting (error ridden) politics into a simple question. Gotta take any and every opportunity, right?

Anyway, knife laws are very ambiguious, but for the most part you won't get in trouble if it's under four inches and for tool type stuff. In my experience anything over three is overkill for a pocket knife anyway.

Using one or carrying one for self-defense is not only silly but could land a person in a heap of trouble if used for such. If self-defense is a concern, it would be much better (and smarter) to get a LTCF and buy a handgun.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Unless you are military or leo, you need a separate ccw to carry an automatic in Pa.
Everything else is, as stated above, arbitrary.
Me, at any one time I might have 4-5 blades on my person. When asked, they are all TOOLS.
I'm a fulltime maker. When I ship, especially overseas, they are TOOLS.
Different local municipalities may have their own odd laws but generally, anything , short of an auto can legally be carried in Pa.
This is according to my local county sheriff. bruce

·
Registered
388 Posts
It's my understanding they are available.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
The new proposals for Federal definitions of Switchblade have been withdrawn by the Obama administration after protest from the knife making community. The part 19 CFR 177(Code of Federal Regulations) that would have applied to customs was withdrawn.

The knife exemption from the switchblade laws 29 USC 1241, as part of the Homeland Security Appropriations for FY 2010, was passed (with expemption) in the House, approved by Conference and signed by President Obama on October 28, 2009.

If you have an interest in Knives or Knife-making it is worth monitoring this area, as more changes will come about.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Pennsylvania - Pa. C.S.A. 18.908. Prohibited offensive
weapons. (a) Offense defined.--A person commits a
misdemeanor of the first degree if, except as authorized
by law, he makes, repairs, sells, or otherwise deals in,
uses, or possesses any offensive weapon. (b) Exception.--
It is a defense under this section for the defendant to
prove by a preponderance of evidence that he possessed of
dealt with the weapon solely as a curio or in a dramatic
performance, or that he possessed it briefly in
consequence of having found it or taken it from an
aggressor, or under circumstances similarly negativing any
intent or likelihood that the would be used unlawfully.
(c) Definition.--As used in this section "offensive
weapon" means... any... dagger, knife, razor or cutting
instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic
way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or
otherwise...
- also see 24 P.S. 13-1317.2. re: students bringing weapons
on to school property.]

Pennsylvania case law:
Where opening knife required lock to be released, and
once lock was released blade could be exposed by flip of
wrist, knife did not have blade which could be "exposed in
an automatic way"... by "otherwise" legislature referred
to knives that were opened by some sort of mechanism which
is not a "switch," "push-button," or "spring" mechanism
but still a mechanism... (1979)

Full text:

Title 18 § 908. Prohibited offensive weapons.
(a) Offense defined.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if, except
as authorized by law, he makes repairs, sells, or otherwise deals in, uses, or possesses
any offensive weapon.

(b) Exceptions.--

It is a defense under this section for the defendant to prove by a preponderance
of evidence that he possessed or dealt with the weapon solely as a curio or in a
dramatic performance, or that, with the exception of a bomb, grenade or incendiary
device, he complied with the National Firearms Act (26 U.S.C. 5801 et seq.), or
that he possessed it briefly in consequence of having found it or taken it from
an aggressor, or under circumstances similarly negativing any intent or likelihood
that the weapon would be used unlawfully.
This section does not apply to police forensic firearms experts or police forensic
firearms laboratories. Also exempt from this section are forensic firearms experts
or forensic firearms laboratories operating in the ordinary course of business and
engaged in lawful operation who notify in writing, on an annual basis, the chief
or head of any police force or police department of a city, and, elsewhere, the
sheriff of a county in which they are located, of the possession, type and use of
offensive weapons.
This section shall not apply to any person who makes, repairs, sells or otherwise
deals in, uses or possesses any firearm for purposes not prohibited by the laws
of this Commonwealth.

(c) Definition.--As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall
have the meanings given to them in this subsection:

"Firearm."
Any weapon which is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile
by the action of an explosive or the frame or receiver of any such weapon.
"Offensive weapons."
Any bomb, grenade, machine gun, sawed-off shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches,
firearm specially made or specially adapted for concealment or silent discharge,
any blackjack, sandbag, metal knuckles, dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument,
the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring
mechanism, or otherwise, or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily
injury which serves no common lawful purpose.

(d) Exemptions.--The use and possession of blackjacks by the following persons in
the course of their duties are exempt from this section:

Police officers, as defined by and who meet the requirements of the act of June
18, 1974 (P.L.359, No.120), referred to as the Municipal Police Education and Training
Law.
Police officers of first class cities who have successfully completed training which
is substantially equivalent to the program under the Municipal Police Education
and Training Law.
Pennsylvania State Police officers.
Sheriffs and deputy sheriffs of the various counties who have satisfactorily met
the requirements of the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.
Police officers employed by the Commonwealth who have satisfactorily met the requirements
of the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.
Deputy sheriffs with adequate training as determined by the Pennsylvania Commission
on Crime and Delinquency.
Liquor Control Board agents who have satisfactorily met the requirements of the
Municipal Police Education and Training Law.

Title 18 § 912. Possession of weapon on school property.
(a) Definition.--Notwithstanding the definition of "weapon" in section
907 (relating to possessing instruments of crime), "weapon" for purposes
of this section shall include but not be limited to any knife, cutting instrument,
cutting tool, nun-chuck stick, firearm, shotgun, rifle and any other tool, instrument
or implement capable of inflicting serious bodily injury.

(b) Offense defined.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if he possesses
a weapon in the buildings of, on the grounds of, or in any conveyance providing
transportation to or from any elementary or secondary publicly-funded educational
institution, any elementary or secondary private school licensed by the Department
of Education or any elementary or secondary parochial school.

(c) Defense.--It shall be a defense that the weapon is possessed and used in conjunction
with a lawful supervised school activity or course or is possessed for other lawful
purpose.

http://www.knife-expert.com

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
Seriously...Who carries a switchblade these days?

Are the Jets moving in on the Sharks neighborhood?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Not sure if the open assist knives with a spring to help flip open the blade would be legal or not in PA. Any LEO's that can answer this question?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts