The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if it was illegal to get a small food plot going on SF or SGL property? I wouldnt be tilling anything up, but maybe using some type of Throw and Grow seed.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
...maybe the PGC would then give you a discount on your hunting license.

·
Registered
730 Posts
not without prior permission from the agency that owns the property....and probably not then either.

"State game lands are public hunting grounds and lawful hunt-
ing and trapping are permitted during open seasons. To enable the
Commission to effectively manage and protect these invaluable
land holdings for this and future generations of hunters, trappers
and wildlife enthusiasts, the following activities are prohibited:
• Camp or use campsites.
• Contaminate, pollute or degrade groundwaters or surface waters
or any waterways.
• Graze or permit the grazing of domestic livestock; place or
maintain beehives or beekeeping apparatus.
• Solicit or place private advertisements, signs or posters.
• Plant, gather, cut, dig, remove or otherwise injure any plants or
parts thereof, including trees, shrubs, vines, flowering plants and
cultivated crops. (Mushrooms and fruits of berry-producing
plants may be picked.)

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
It might teach the PGC something. Lord knows they need the help.
This is what I have done in the past. Find private properrty and talk to the land owner abou it. If he is a farmer ask him to leave a few rows of standing corn by your stand. In return you either pay him for his loss or offer to work it off on the farm.

·
Registered
730 Posts
the PGC is not in the business of growing food plots. If someone want tos step forward and pay for all the seeding fertilizer and weed control on 1.4 million acres of game lands im sure they will listen. they create herbaceous openings that benefit ALL wildlife. "Food plots" as many hunters are referring to are brassicas, turnips etc.....the PGC plants clover, trefoil, warmseason grasses etc....a greater overall benefit

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
they would have to see you throw it down. you can spread 1/4 acre of throw and grow in a couple minutes...lol

it wont hurt anything.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
It might hurt if you got caught!

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
yeah...my wallet....lol

no worries....i have no desire to go and break the law by trying to help.

·
Registered
730 Posts
true beartrppr, but not in the sense that is though of on here......there is not fields and fields of brassicas or turnips.....usually is a mix that NWTF or QDMA supply/donates...what i meant was that the PGC doesnt go and buy hundreds of pounds of the popular "food plot" mixes ...."as seen on tv"

G

·
0 Posts
Yet more evidence hunters are lazy. sniffle...sniffle I can't pattern woodlot deer...sniffle...sniffle...I need food plots so I can know that my big buck will show up at 4:45PM...sniffle...sniffle hunting any other ways is too hard. sniffle....sniffle my buddy who hunts private ground over <s>bait</s> food plots always kills a buck...sniffle...sniffle it's not fair.

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
there are folks out there that just like to know deer have good food sources over winter. sniffle sniffle

that is always something that should be considered...sniffle sniffle

G

·
0 Posts
If deer have to rely on biologic to make it through the winter, there are too many deer.

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
you are correct. but turnips and the like are never really a bad idea. they dont hurt anything at all. it's not like people are wanting to go in and plant invasive species that help one animal and hurt 20 others.

and don't take my smart remarks to heart. i'm just a goof most of the time.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm assuming these same laws would apply in the ANF?

Not that I was considering planting anything, just curious.

·
Registered
813 Posts
The game commission allows farmers to plant corn on the game lands in some areas. I believe they have a signed agreement between the farmer and the PGC. I was told it is share cropping.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts