The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,755 Posts
I never shot was close a couple of times , but I guess it would be the same . I was told the older the bear the tougher and stringier it is, but can`t tell you 1000% if accurate. good luck

·
Registered
148 Posts
I’ve cut 8-10 of them up and the trick is to get as much fat off the meat. We cut roasts, steaks and burger. Leave backstrap whole or cut in 2.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Also,save as much of the fat as possible,and render it down. It is good for a variety of uses,from waterproofing leather to using as shortening for baking.

Bob

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I’ve cut 8-10 of them up and the trick is to get as much fat off the meat. We cut roasts, steaks and burger. Leave backstrap whole or cut in 2.
This above, cut off the fat before you butcher. Do not discard the fat, bear grease was very highly thought of and desirable back in the frontier days. If you render down the get you get a nice white lard good for cooking or water proofing your boots or lube for your muzzle loader round balls etc. Bear roasts taste very close to beef roasts.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Super Moderator
5,012 Posts
When my uncle was alive, he always got a crop damage bear from the PGC every fall. The warden would call when he was on his way....sometimes it was midnight or later when they showed up. Sometimes they would stick around and help us hang and skin them.

As WW stated, bear roasts are excellent. They have the same taste and texture as roast beef. One Sunday a month, my uncle would do a roast. When word got out, folks would stop by for diner. Everyone was pleasantly surprised by the roasts.

I only every ate one bad bear. It was a sow with young cubs that was shot by a farmer in the Bald Eagle Valley. Those cubs had that bear run down ...no fat....chewiest thing I ever tried to eat. It was so tough you couldn’t get a fork in the gravy.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Just made some vegetable bear soup in pressure cooker from my first PA bear. Excellent and as others have saId tastes like beef

·
Registered
81 Posts
My bear from last year was fantastic. The roasts were better than any beef roast I have had. The ground meat was very useful for pasta and sausage dishes. The bone structure is pretty different from deer, but the overall concept is the same. When I get another one I will be cutting as many roasts as possible.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Just remember kids, bear meat must be cooked well since many have trichinosis. Freezing the meat does not kill the trichinosis. The good news is its killed at relatively low cooking temperatures.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts