The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok ive bin looking into getting a garmin alpha...but have read a few reviews of them droppin signal..right now i have a tracker classic an have never had a problem with it..so my question to all of you is do any of you run a garmin an another trackin system just incase the garmin cuts out on you? any info is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I've never had a problem with the alpha dropping signal, an ongoing problem is the handheld restarting randomly.

That being said, it keeps the trucks location, and quickly acquires the dogs upon startup. You lose, dog tracks, distance run, ect.
I have not checked to see if the "lost" data is recoverable on basecamp.

I don't know all the tricks of the alpha, but it sure is a cool tool.

If your near me we can put it on your dog and you can give it a test run... if that gets me a tag along on a coon hunt, lol.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks brine..it dose seem like a cool tool lol...i didnt read anything about the handheld restarting ill have to look into that...but the next time im up your way ill shoot you a pm if you really wanna go coonin

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have had issues with the collar. It kept shutting off. I called garmin and they sent me a new one know questions asked.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
The first year that I ran garmin cat hunting I had both the garmin and a johnson "beep, beep" collar on my dog. So you can do it, but I stopped because the garmin was all I needed.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I think that you find that the Garmin is all that you will be needing. I don't have an alpha, i just use a Astro 220 with Dc 30&40 collars.With a long range antenna on the collars i have a signal well over a mile.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies guys....was just a little nervous with the issues I have read about the alpha's but I guess it wount hurt to run the tracker till I get used to the garmin...an just run both when we hunt other states..

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
You can get a "Tag Along" Beep Beep Transmitter to go on the Garmin Collar on the same Frequency as your current Beep Beep system, just as a backup and peace of mind...Seen em advertised on the UKC boards...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Been using the Garmin since the first season it was on the market, just love it. I use to run with the telemetry system and spent many a long evenings hunting for the dogs with BEEP BEEP.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts