The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Yes, not as complicated as a semi-auto for a new shooter.

Now, there are several options you need to consider; single action/double action, small-medium-large frame revolver and barrel length. A lot depends on what you want to do with a revolver.

A 4" double action revolver like a Ruger GP100 in .357 Magnum is hard to beat. You can shoot light .38 Specials in the gun until you get comfortable, then move up to .357 Magnum.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Revolver, yes. You don't say what the purpose is, target, carrying, etc.......but regardless get a 22 long rifle with a 4-6 inch barrel. shoot about 5000 rounds or so to learn trigger control, grip, and sight picture, then move up to a bigger caliber. Then keep shooting the 22!

·
Registered
33 Posts
My first gun was a Smith and Wesson 38 special model 638 (J frame). Great pocket gun. Very easy to use. Shoots single action and double action. Still own it.

Pros are it's very simple. It's not really "fun to shoot". But if you get good and practice with it you will find the move to semi auto pretty easy.

·
Registered
182 Posts
if you're talking first time of any gun: i would start with a bolt action .22 although reading your other posts doesn't sound like long rifle or handgun are in the cards right now until your wife is allowed to be around them again.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I have a ruger lcr in .327 federal that is a great pocket gun and is easy to shoot with full house loads. You can shoot the whole gammet of .32's through it so it's great to practice with 32 s&w or the longs and then load up with the .327's when your packin or even h&r mags if you wanted too. It's just a nice little pocket gun that's tameable and will get the job done if god forbid ever need be.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I second the 22 recommendation if it is first gun ever. Fun, easy, and cheap to shoot to learn the fundamentals. If you have friends or family who are gun owners see if they will take you out and let you try some of what they own. A couple years ago when I was looking for my first handgun I was pretty set on a revolver until I had the chance to shoot a few semi-autos. I went with a Bersa UC 9mm. I like the capacity and it is has been a great value. Very reliable and not overly big to carry around in the winter and cooler weather. Recently have purchased a M&P Shield for my EDC with the warmer weather. Best case is you can try before you buy.

·
Registered
20,668 Posts
Revolver, yes. You don't say what the purpose is, target, carrying, etc.......but regardless get a 22 long rifle with a 4-6 inch barrel. shoot about 5000 rounds or so to learn trigger control, grip, and sight picture, then move up to a bigger caliber. Then keep shooting the 22!
To my way of thinking, this is good advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts