1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/07-290.ZO.html

It is a long read but well worth it.

This solves a lot of the argument:

" the Second Amendment extends, prima facie,to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding." - Justice Scalia

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
If you are referring to the NY "you don't need 10 bullets to kill a deer" law that just passed, I would think it's only a matter of time before some brave person challenges it in court. In NY, I think it's an up hill battle due to that state being run by lefties, like NJ, CA, and the usual suspects. It's absolutely not constitutional, but I'm not a legal scholar. It will has out in court. NY residents are guilty, till proven innocent in regards to guns. Only the criminals don't care about the law.

·
Super Moderator
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The key word(s) in what I quoted is "all instruments" would encompass ammo and perhaps could be argued in reference to the Ny law but my thought was geared more towards high capacity Mag's.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Again, if you are referring to the new NY state law, you have to have a background check to buy a box of ammo. I'm not kidding. To buy a box of 30/30 ammo , 20 rounds, you have to pass a background check. I'd say that's excessive. I'd say that's a violation of your rights. You could buy a 20lb tank of propane that is much more dangerous than a box of ammo, without a BRC. Sorry if I'm not following you....but I'm not sure what you are referring to.

·
Super Moderator
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perhaps one can argue that a background check can be classified as a "permit". Once you need a "permit" it is no longer a "right" - it becomes a privilege. Obviously our 2nd amendment is a right and what I quoted from Scalia gives constitutional rights to all instruments which could be argued as ammo, firearms, mags etc...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts