·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a 30-30 big enough for bear in PA?

·
Registered
553 Posts
The .30-30 is plenty of gun for black bear in PA. I use a Marlin 336C in .30-30 with a Bushnell Banner 4X shotgun scope and Hornady 160 gr. LeverEvolution ammo. This rig shoots 1" groups at 100 yards. Good luck!

·
Registered
490 Posts
The 30-30 is fine, however if I am hunting on public land I always go over gunned because I want to stop it quickly and try avoid confrontations with other hunters over who killed the animal.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
BACK in the early 70's, when the magnum bolt action craz started I remember two young whipersnappers argueing with an old timer at a Rembrandt sportsmens club..the arguement was over those pipsqueek 30/30 cartridge..after about an hour or som the old buck ended it by getting his out of the truck and offering those two whippersnappers that they could have the second return shot at 100 yards..no one in the bar took him up on the challenge and I never heard another word since that day about how that little pip-squeek was such a worthless cartridge..

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Kebco said:
The 30-30 is fine, however if I am hunting on public land I always go over gunned because I want to stop it quickly and try avoid confrontations with other hunters over who killed the animal.
Don't you think that a 30-30 through the lungs will stop a bear just as quick as a 300 Magnum through the lungs?...Such a lack-of-confidence in ones shooting ability should not extend to the point where we would choose a larger cartridge to make up for a marginal hit if it were to occur.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Big Ken said:
Kebco said:
Don't you think that a 30-30 through the lungs will stop a bear just as quick as a 300 Magnum through the lungs?...Such a lack-of-confidence in ones shooting ability should not extend to the point where we would choose a larger cartridge to make up for a marginal hit if it were to occur.

I don't think it will. A .300 magnum should create a much more impressive wound channel than a .30-30 and should result in a quicker kill. At least that's been my experience even with deer.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
Not true in deer.More deer are taken with smaller cals than large cals by a large margin.Also,it seems like the big guns are the ones that take more time to locate hit deer.I,ve had to track a few over the years for people.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
good ole boy said:
Not true in deer.More deer are taken with smaller cals than large cals by a large margin.Also,it seems like the big guns are the ones that take more time to locate hit deer.I,ve had to track a few over the years for people.

I say there is more to that than face value. A big gun with a suitable bullet for deer will kill them as fast as anything will. A big gun with an Elk/ Moose bullet will not kill a deer as quickly.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Yes, it is.

·
Registered
981 Posts
good ole boy said:
Not true in deer.More deer are taken with smaller cals than large cals by a large margin.Also,it seems like the big guns are the ones that take more time to locate hit deer.I,v had to track a few over the years for people.
Your right on....people don't understand that large caliber rifles with crazy high speed ballistics at under 100 yards does not give the bullet time to mushroom and creates only a very small wound channel thus having to track the deer further.
Sure a 300 mag. will kill anything but if I was shooting a Deer or Bear at 150 yards or less I would have no problem using a 35 Rem or 30-30.
That's why a 45-70 is a great rifle for PA,"I'm talking 150 yards or less" you have a 300 or 405 grain bullet travailing at a little more speed of a 30-30 or a 35 Rem. but when it hits home you have a bullet expanding to the size of quarter.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I have shot many deer with my .300 Win and have never had a small wound channel with either 165 or 180 bullets. Only deer that went more than 25 yards was a very poor hit but we tracked it down and made a recovery.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts