The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a three year old redbone that I wanted to hunt but just didn't have the time to invest because of being laid off and a new job when he was a pup is three to old to start.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
all you can do id try. some hounds don't really mature until they are around 2. i had a dog i messed with for 2 years once. he tried a little but never really seemed to get it. the next year i took him along one night and you would have thought he was a broke dog. something clicked while he was soaking on the chain. i got a few coon with him that fall and traded him in a dog deal. i talked to the guy later on and he said he was doing fine.
get him in on a few drags and a couple hot ones and see what he does. you got nothing to lose that you already haven't.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I agree with bobcat. Some dogs are late bloomers. He may pick it right up, you might as well give him a chance.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Start him like he's a pup. If you put the time in he'll be fine.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
id agree...only way to know is to try...IMO, if he woulda been a coon dog if he was trained younger, he will still make a coon dog now...3 isnt too old...alot of the traits that make a coon dog are inherited not trained..

if youve ever trained a real natural coon dog you'd know what i mean by that..

from my experience, if a dog is gunna make a coon dog, he wont need much training at all..

best dog i ever had was atleast 1-2 years old before we got him and he never seen anything other than a coon pelt the owner gave him to chew on...he was a natural..we showed him a caged coon and released it and let him tree it and that was about it for training him..he was a coon dog.

there are 2 trains of thought when it comes to training coon dogs...start em YOUNG...and some guys start em extremely young..puppy young..others say wait till they are atleast 8-12 months or longer before messing with them..let them be a puppy..teach them obedience and commands and walking on a leash and all that sorta stuff..and let them be a puppy and let them grow up and mature..then teach em to be coon dogs...

ive never seen anything great from dogs started young...if anything, they seem to end up retired earlier..hard on their bones, etc...and i compare it to a kid playing a sport..his parents push him and push him to play and started him in kindergarden..by highschool he wants nothing to do with it..by college he has no interest in it at all..

good luck with the dog! sept-oct is always my favorite times to train and hunt...turn em loose on the edge of a corn field and let em have at it...man im gunna miss fall..i wont be home till after the corn is gone
i put up some huge scores at the nite hunts in the fall too when i guide...most guys dont hunt corn fields and their dogs look silly while mine pop them up one after another...dont know why so many guys dont turn loose in corn fields...

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
It is definitely not too old to try.......We dont really start our dogs until they are at least 1 1/2...........that doesnt mean not hunting, just not hunting real hard.........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts