The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are advantages to the .17 caliber versus the .22lr? What is best for groundhogs, coyotes, squirrels, etc and why? Can the .17 do stuff that the .22 can't do?

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
It all depends on what you want to do.The only thing the 2 have in common is that they are both rimfires.For squirells the .22 is better cause it won,t cause much damage to meat.But for hogs,coyotes and such the .17 wins hands down.It literely explodes when it penetrates.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Won't a .22 do the same with hollow points?

·
Registered
496 Posts
what 17 are you talking about HMR or HM2

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
Yes a ,22 hollow point is better but it still don,t have the destructive capability of a .17HMR.I have never not shot a hog that it didn,t fall right over and look like it was clobbered with a hi-power centerfire.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just wondered if the .22 could do similar things to the .17.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
do not waste your time with a 22lr or a 17 rimfire for coyotes or even fox...do yourself and the critters were hunting a favor and buy a 22hornet or a 17 fireball or 17rem....those 3 calibers are fur friendly almost all the time and will anchor a yote yet not blow apart a fox...

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
The HMR will ruin a squirrel unless you shoot it in the head. For woodchucks, I only shot 2 with my HMR when I had it. With the 20gr load in the head. Both were lights out. As for coyotes I wouldn't even think about using the .22 or the .17HMR, unless you don't care about wounding or never finding some.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
Wrong,I,ve done wasted to many critters with one shot with the .17HMR to let this go without comment.Plus the ammo is cheap.Ihave shot hundreds of varmints with my .17 and I don,t remember needin more than 1 shot to do the job.

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
here i can only use a rimfire, i love my 17hmr and it clobbers hogs dead. if i had a chance i'd give a yote a bullet sandwich with it in a heart beat.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hogs, Fox, Squirrels all killed with mine, 2 hogs at 125, fox at 70, and squirrel at 55. Absolutely devistating on squirrels but as said, hit em in the head. Have pics that show a tree rat with no lower jaw, no face, but yet no hole through back of head. Just explodes. Fox? Cant find hole in hide after tubed, but wouldnt shoot past 100yds unless in the head. Hogs yeah killed em at longer ranges with good rest breathing right and squeeze till it hits em in the head.
I dont have a 22lr. but have a 17hmr with a sweet 17 scope and can cover a 100 yd group with a nickle. I like that!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Ciscokid55 said:
What are advantages to the .17 caliber versus the .22lr?
The .17HMR has a flatter trajectory and more energy than a .22LR.
The .22LR is cheaper to shoot and potentially "easier" on the tissue of small animals.

IMO the biggest handicap to the .22LR is the bullet selection. The .17HM2, .17HMR and .22 Magnum all have a better quality and selection of bullets than the .22LR. At some point I hope some manufacturer breaks the status-quo and begins loading polymer tipped and jacketed hollow point bullets in the .22LR.

Ciscokid55 said:
What is best for groundhogs, coyotes, squirrels, etc and why?
Neither for coyotes!

The flatter trajectory and increased downrange energy of the .17HMR allow it to be much more effective on groundhogs than the .22LR. Alot of groundhogs have been (and will continue to be) killed by the .22LR. The .17 just makes it easeir.

Squirrels, crows and etc. are easily killed by either. The added range of the .17HMR gives it an edge with the "wily crow".

Ciscokid55 said:
Can the .17 do stuff that the .22 can't do?
Outside of the ballistic advantage, not really. Within their respective usable range both will kill small game.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
The HMR can do anything and everything the 2lr does, but it does it a lot better.

With that said I don't even own an HMR. I do have 3 22lr's though.

The greatest asset to the 22lr is shear cost. No. HMR's aren't that too awful expensive, but you can sit for the afternoon shooting cans with the 22lr for less than $20. I mean ALL afternoon.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
I agree for plinkin the .22 is a slam dunk.But he don,t want tp just plink,he wants to hunt.I will say where you can get in trouble with a .17 rimfire.If it,s a strong windy breezy day you better keep your shots at a reasonable closer distance or your bullit will end up in the next county.When it,s like that, it stays in the safe cause up here on my hill I get some super strong wind.

·
Registered
706 Posts
If I were choosing one of the two for hunting purposes, I'd pick the 17 HMR everytime, as it is simply a better mousetrap when it comes to small game and varmint hunting. If I were buying a plinking rifle, it'd be a semi auto 22LR.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
I have seen on other sites of .17 vs..22mags.But not this one.It was about evenly split on that topic with the mag guys likin the heavier bullit.I own all 3 of these cals and the .17 is the leader of the pack IMHO.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts