The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it that most new rifles these days don't come with iron sights?

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Because most new rifles are going to have scopes on them anyway.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JasonN said:
What if your scope breaks or you don't wanna put a scope on your rifle?

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Some companies give you a choice on some rifles sights or rings (ruger). Easy to tap 4 holes and get sights on any rifle.

toward the end of the sight era, many companies were puting cheap sight on rifle. better none than junk.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
That's why I carry a fifty year old Husqvarna. If my Leupold scope ever fails all I have to do is twist off two Weaver mount thumbwheels and I'm back in business. I already know my iron sights are on.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Stogey said:
JasonN said:
What if your scope breaks or you don't wanna put a scope on your rifle?
Most all companies offer sights. I know Ruger, Browning and Remington do. I'm sure Winchester does as well. Might have to order it though as MOST folks buying bolt guns(most popular) are putting scopes on them. The ones that want open sights are certainly fewer than those that don't.

I kind of think of it like this: How many guns have we all seen with 'see-thru' mounts on them? Many for most of us. Now, ask those guys with the 'see-thru' rings how many times they've actually used those open sights since they put the scope on that rifle....they'll have to think about to come up with their answer of zero in most all cases. Fact is, scopes are reliable, more accurate and more easy to use than open sights.....that's why they're on most all rifles today.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
FWIW, I have nothing against open sights/peeps. They have their place for sure, but that place isn't the most common in today's hunting environment. Even the guys busting brush are using scopes on their guns. Take a look at the bear camps in the fall. Most of the guys doing the driving are using scopes....low power for fast target acquisition. I think I might be the only one in bear camp this fall with a peep setup on my rifle.

·
Registered
889 Posts
When I was taught how to shoot, I was taught with open sights. Like most everyone else my age. And yes scopes were available. But you taught a kid the right way to shoot. And the right way is with open sights.

Now a days the kids don't think open sights are cool. And since their mentors are more worried about them having "Fun". They do not teach the kids properly. They just get them a scope immediately.

Sights cost money to the mfr. And the mfrs. are cutting every corner they can to make more profit. So they leave the sights off the rifle. And market it that way. The new shooters want scopes anyway since they do not know how to shoot with open sights. So it is a real winner for the mfrs. No sights + plastic injected stocks = Profit. Pretty simple. Tom.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts