The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many use iron sights on their bolt rifles? (It's usually only levers or other "brush" guns that folks use without scopes.) What's your setup? How far do you shoot? What have you killed?

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
The only scopes on my bolt guns came with em on combos and the rifles do not have any iron sites at all which I do not like.I,ve shot everything under the sun w iron sites but the best to mind would be a crow I wacked at over 200 yds with a .22 Savage Sporter that my great uncle gave me.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
I have a 1903 that I killed a bunch of chucks with and was my go to gun for turkey shoots (heads at 75 offhand)when I only had one rifle. I finally blooded it on a doe this last year. Hammered her perfectly at 75 yards.
Then the Flintlock. 1 deer at about 80yds
Fathers old 22LR, lots of squirrels

·
Registered
25,496 Posts
Killed a doe with my dad's M98 VZ 24 in 8x57 some years ago, issue military sights.

Also killed a doe with an uncle's US Rem 1903, also with the original sights. That rifle has the original 1905 "ladder type" rear sight, not the "peep" arrangment found on later 03A3s. Neither one was much more than 50 yards.

V notch military battle sights are not the greatest set up for deer hunting, but they work.

Been hunting doe with nothing but irons and peeps for about 10 years now, but have killed deer with irons, going back to 1972. That would include those two bolt rifles, plus a M94, M336, M444 and a M629 S&W revolver.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
I think the only bolt gun I have that isn't scoped is a single shot Western Auto(it actually might be a Stevens) 22LR.

All my centerfire bolts have optics. I personally don't have anything against iron sights, but it's just far easier and user friendly to use a scope. I also don't like open sights on a rifle that has a scope. I think it looks funny. I always remove them when a scope goes on....even on my in-line and lever guns.

I'm looking into a Ruger No. 1-RSI for my next purchase....not sure what I'm going to do there yet. I will remove ramps or screws, but that's a whole different beast. I might leave it with iron sights and not put a scope on it.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
I once killed a 7 point at 25 yards with a Lee-Enfield No. 5 Mk1 "Jungle carbine" in .303 caliber. I've also killed a good bit of game with open sighted leverguns. Today I just got a Savage 340 in .30-30 which is a bolt gun. It came scoped but I may just take the scope off. I really don't need a scope for a .30-30.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
My problem, these days, is my glasses. After a lifetime of not needing eyeglasses, I have to wear them now and the larger lenses in my sunglasses work but my regular lenses are smaller and I find myself looking over he top edge of the lens. Plan to fix that w/ my next office visit!

I just dug out the old Mauser 8mm KAR98 my pappy 'sported'. No barrel bands or top wood so the original sight stands up where you can see it & I have 3/4 a box of reloads dated 1963, I think it is time to shoot them up.

I think the last time I shot this, I was around 11 - 12 yrs old...

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
The only bolt gun I have that does not where a scope is a pre-64 Winchester 69A .22LR. This rifle is fitted with Lyman target peep sights of the same vintage age. Great shooter and I am accurate as I would be with any scope.

I hunt deer alot with open sights, just not bolt guns. Levers, pumps, flintlocks, single shots...

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I used the open sights on my marlin 22 for quite awhile. It was more fun to plink with it that way. I put a scope on it after I got rid of my 22 mag. Only because I had the scope and mounts.

Other than my 22 I don't even own another bolt gun. I can't see the point since remingtn makes such nice pumps

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it is pretty convincing that unless it's a .22 or vintange military rifle, a scope is the obvious choice. The other day I got a crazy thought to have my smith tap my 700 Mtn rifle for a front sight, then put a Williams receiver sight on it. Would make for a super lightweight, easy handling rifle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts