The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a pair of Irish Setter Buck Trackers back in December of 2004 from Sportman's Guide. To this day they are the warmest, driest, most comfortable leather boots I've ever owned. Each year they see hard use during the winter and just seem to be getting better with age.

In April of 2007 I bought a pair of Irish Setter Elk Trackers. They have much less insulation than the Buck Trackers and I use them in all seasons except winter. From day one they leaked. At first I told myself the dampness was my feet sweating but it got worse and worse until the first week of turkey this year when my feet got completely soaked from walking through wet grass. These things were never comfortable and weigh more than the Buck Trackers even though they have a fraction of the insulation.

Both pair are made in China but the quality of the newer pair is so poor that I doubt I'll ever buy another pair of Irish Setters.

Can anybody recommended a well made, American made boot?

PS: There's going to be a pair of used Elk Trackers on Ebay real soon if anybody is interested.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I've had good luck with my elk trackers. How about contacting the company?

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Undertaker said:
Sorry to hear that. I've had good luck with my elk trackers. How about contacting the company?
Yours don't leak at all?

I sent them an email message but you are limited to 500 characters which is a very brief message. If I don't hear something back I will call but I'm not expecting much satisfaction considering the boots are three years old.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Swift said:
USA made Danners.
I've been checking around and there are relatively few companies that still manufacture boots in the USA and many of them make work boots only. Danner (only some of their boots are USA made)and Chippewa are two that make hunting boots and seem to be near the top quality-wise.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is the message I sent Irish Setter (Red Wing):

Message: In April of 2007 I bought a pair of Irish Setter Elk Tracker 880's. I
use them in all seasons except winter. From day one they leaked. At first I told
myself the dampness was my feet sweating but it got worse and worse until the
first week of May this year when my feet got completely soaked from walking
through wet grass.

Here is the response I received:

There is a one year waterproof warranty on the boots and the rest of the
material and workmanship warranty is all based on normal wear. Credit may be
pro-rated based on the general condition and length of wear. Irish Setter
footwear is designed for hunting and hiking. If the footwear has been abused,
cut, punctured, severely scraped or used for unintended purposes, the guarantee
is not in force.

If you can't get back to the store where they were purchased at and see what
they can do, you'll need to send them back to us yourself for us to look at and
inspect.

Please send them to this address:

Red Wing Shoe Company

135 Cannon River Avenue

Red Wing, MN 55066

Attention: Irish Setter Returns

Put a note or card in with your boots explaining the problem, along with your
name, your return address, and telephone number.

Regards, Mike.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I guess I once again would highly recomend sendiny them back to redwing with a very NICE letter and just wait. I was in a similar situation last fall and got some of the best customer service ever.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Just FYI, not all Irish Setters are made over seas. I bought a pair last season (US made) and when I was looking/trying on the different models the salesman told me which were made in China and which were made in the US. Look inside the toungue, it's labeled where they are made.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
I had a pair of danners about 15 years ago. Lightweight and made in the USA.

Leaked worse than a colander and were so uncomfortable my feet went numb and that is not a joke. I was a landscaper and on my feet all day from sun up to sun down. Just couldn't face it that it was the boots until I started to just where old sneakers and things started to get better.

I know alot of people love them, but I'll never own another pair. Worst part is that I didn't send them back or anything, they rotted out in the basement and were just thrown away a couple of weeks ago.

Good riddance.

I have a pair of Irish Setters un insulated and they have served me well for almost 5 years. Feet get wet if in wet grass for long distance, but strangely can handle wading in a creek long enough to get across.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I bought a pair of the American made I.S. elk trackers at Mark's Shoes in Hughesville and they've been excellent boots.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
i bought a leaky pair of proghorns sent them back got a brand new pair of leaky danner. lol i give up. same with irish setter. had them blowing seems in a few weeks. the only water proof boot is rubber and only until you run a stick through them.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts