The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
going to start buying points this year. probably buy points for 2 years then apply for the archery tag/license in the 3rd year. really dont know anything about iowa except what i have found on the internet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was just there this fall and it is awesome you will never want to hunt PA again once you go to IOWA. I went to west central and had one point and then i applied and drew my tag Im already booking for 2014

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I have been playing the game in Iowa for 20 years now. As Z7EXTREEME says - once you hunt Iowa you will not look at PA the same again but this would be the case with many midwest states as it is just a different game out there so to speak. I have always hunted zone 5 and archery usually needs 2 ponts in that zone plus the app. I just hunted there this past year over Halloween week and again over New Years week - I'm always looking for somethng over 150 when out there and while I saw them, I wasn't able to get an arrown in one this time around. 2.5 year old bucks going in the 120's are like a dime a dozen out there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was in zone 3 and was there the week of Halloween I shot my buck Nov 1st a 9pt scored 148 and had a 25in spread. I have hunted Ohio a few times but nothing compares to IOWA although I would like to try Kansas and Missouri but i am going back to IOWA as soon as I drew again

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was in zone 3 and was there the week of Halloween I shot my buck Nov 1st a 9pt scored 148 and had a 25in spread. I have hunted Ohio a few times but nothing compares to IOWA although I would like to try Kansas and Missouri but i am going back to IOWA as soon as I drew again

·
Registered
764 Posts
Twin Springs said:
I would love to go out to hunt. What are you guys talking about "buying points"? Dont know anything about it.
Iowa has a point system in order for a non resident to draw a tag. You can purchase a point every year. If you apply for a tag and don't get drawn you also receive a point. Basically a person with 2 points gets drawn over a person with 1 point(3 gets drawn over 2 and so forth). In a few of the zones it usually takes at least 3 points to draw a tag. This is kind of a pain, but at the same time they only allow a limited number of non residents to hunt every year. If you need more info just look it up on Iowa's DNR page.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
ARCHERY = 2 - 3 years of buying points. $55.35 each
draw a tag every 3 - 4 years.
Shotgun = buy a non-res. doe tag every year and party hunt with a resident and you can use there buck tag (if they are willing to do so) and legally kill a buck every year in Iowa.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts