The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Myself, my father and two others currently have 3 preference points for Iowa and we anticipate drawing for this fall. The 3 of them have all been there before but this would be my first time. In the past, they have all went out in the spring for a long weekend to do some scouting, shed hunting, hang stands and enjoy the midwest for a few days. So Friday morning, we packed up and left.

We have permission on several farms so Saturday and Sunday all we did was walk and hang stands. Like I said this was my first time beyond the Mississippi River and I fell in love...

At first I was finding rubs on trees 4-6" in diameter consistantly which for me back home is big but then I started finding telephone poles...

The deer paths were like a cow pasture...

View from one of the stands I hung...

Sunday I found 5 sheds and a dead 10 pt that had double split brows about 17-18". Between the 4 of us, we found 13 sheds.

Sorry if you don't like the gruesomeness. Not a real good pic but he was a nice buck. The left side was really nice but the right side was kinda small.

Walking down a finger on a fence row of one of the farms I popped out and looked ahead of me across into a corn field Saturday afternoon and these guys were all checking me out...The second deer from the right still has his head gear on...

I can't wait to get back out there.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
wow looks like you're going to be in the money this fall. Good luck.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Great looking deer ground. Gotta love those strips of trees by the creeks. As evidenced by the trails, the deer obviously like them too! The big rubs and sheds only add to the anticipation. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Wow, haven;t seen that many deer in one group together in a long time here in PA. Hope your tag gets drawn this year.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yes it does...I was ready to just go sit in a stand somewhere morning and evening. This was Zone 4.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
WOW

Very nice, looks like you have a reason to look forward to the season! I wish we all were so lucky so get a chance to experience deer hunting the way it should be

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Leaving PA sure puts things in perspective. If anyone thinks PA is good deer hunting, they have never left the state. Its the bottom of the barrel.

Some WMU's are even leaps and bounds ahead of others. Frankly, if I never hunted another day in 4d or 2g again it wouldnt hurt my feelings.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
On our first DIY hunt in Iowa we arrived early in the afternoon and after doing a little scouting were able to get one stand hung for my brother.. The next evening he shot the following buck.. At first he was going to pass on him then he decided to take him... Deer is a typical 10 point that scored 163 inches and weighed 285 lb's.. Deer had no neck just all body...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts