The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys
has anyone heard about that new bill they are trying to pass? i think they call it cipa. basiclly what it says or does is if you apply for a job, the employer during the screening process can ask you to hand over your password to facebook or what have you so they can get a better look at who you are and if you are some deranged person or something. they could also do it even if your employeed. from what i was told some businesses are already doing this but doing it hush hush, from what i also was told that one business got sued for this becuase it wasnt a law.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
its been common practice for higher quality jobs to have hr search the Web during the hiring process. easy way to end route them is simply have two of whatever social media groups you being to. A real one locked tight and a open one for them to access easily

·
Registered
22,058 Posts
TeflonDon said:
its been common practice for higher quality jobs to have hr search the Web during the hiring process. easy way to end route them is simply have two of whatever social media groups you being to. A real one locked tight and a open one for them to access easily
I hate to break the news to you....but no social media you have is "locked tight".
Things you wrote 10 years ago on accounts that are now closed reside on a server somewhere.

And most companies I know of monitor social media sites along with running routine searches on google and such for anything damaging to their reputation.

Make no mistake...any internet use makes you extremely vulnerable if you have privacy concerns.

I just Googled your post word for word......Brought me right here to this very thread.

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
Folks get pretty stupid when it comes to things posted in social media. But even the things friends and acquaintances post can haunt a person for years. I am aware of people who use odd nicknames so they are less likely to show up in a search. Thing is some of them even though private can be opened by linking through a "friends" page.

·
Registered
19,637 Posts
Some employers and even auto insurance company’s also use your credit score to determine if your a good fit for the job or an insurance risk.

The electronic age has been a good thing but has a lot wrong going for it too.
Guess we all better break out the rolls of tinfoil.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts