The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang,

Looking for your opinion. I judge no one until I know their story...

What is going on? I have been monitoring someone who has placed a tree-stand on my property for the last two years. His tree stand was previously on the very edge of my property. I did nothing.

After a severe windstorm this year, his tree-stand migrated from it's original location (the tree was fallen due to the windstorm) to a location that was a good 200 yards onto my property. It is "prime" deer movement area.

Anyway, where I own this property (roughly 90 acres) can be considered a tough place to make a living. It is remote and distant from good work. What I am currently trying to do is to give this person a chance to identify himself, let me know who he is and admit he is trespassing on my property.

I want to know what his story is so that I might accommodate his needs, if he is struggling to feed his family, or....

I placed a note on his tree stand and asked that he call me, identify himself, and explain why he is on my property.

Having said that, prior to the opening day of archery season, I plan on taking the stand...

What do you guys think?

I am a sympathetic person and give most the benefit of the doubt.

Am I wrong?

Thanks.

Chaos USMC

·
Registered
18,571 Posts
Great way to look into the matter and possibly resolve any issues before they become a problem.

I was thinking stand needed to have owner tag with information on them. May only be for SGL's

At any rate good luck and hope things work out. Waugh!

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
You may be taking the high road but chew on this.

1. You give him benefit of the doubt, right. He takes it as you do not care, gets three of his buddies to join in.

2. They hang a few sets on your property. Then, it is out of control.

3. Then you notice a few more and soon you loose control of your property. Bottom line is and I have seen this before. You being a nice guy tolerate it, the locals have a field day on your little slice of heaven and your 90 acres become theirs. Sorry, seen it before and believe me, once they get dug in, they are worst than Alabama ticks to eradicate. Get that guy off now, do not wait.. Take that stand down and get it solved. You will thank yourself later.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I commend you for your efforts. However, if I only had 90 acres I would share any room with a trespasser. Now had they asked prior that's a different story. But this person entered land that isn't theirs (likely knowingly) and didn't seem to care. I wouldn't want to give permission to someone like that.

I hope it works out for you whatever you decide.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Take his stand and leave a note that you have it and if he wants it back he should come and see you .......if he doesn't show up you have another stand if he does then you can get your answers

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
skwirl said:
Take his stand and leave a note that you have it and if he wants it back he should come and see you .......if he doesn't show up you have another stand if he does then you can get your answers

As much as I want to agree with you and you are right in that thinking. However even on your land you need to be careful, there have been cases where the illegal trespasser has charged the land owners with theft. The proper way would to be to photo the stand, before and after with pics of the stand in place and after taking down. You wont be liable for damages after the fact. Also, along with that note you might leave I would include a couple of copies for the clown to hand out to his friends....

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I placed a note on their stand roughly the end of June. No response yet. As I have not been back to the property since placing the note, maybe he decided to just take it down, who knows... I'll have to ask my neighbor to take a ride back there to see.

Great feedback by all. I'll keep you updated.

Have a great day, be safe and be well.

Chaos

·
Super Moderator
4,913 Posts
First of all I thank you for your service.If you don't live there it will be hard to keep locals off.If you can't talk to him/her face to face take the stand.They will buy another for $50 on sale.If you get that local off another will take its place.You need to find a local you like and trust.Give that local permission to hunt and the authority to run others off.I will say this the property I hunt has been owned by the man and his wife for over 30 years and this type of problem persists till this day with me and him running them off.They live there.Trespass laws in this state are weak and so is enforcement.Steal my car,truck,boat?Grand theft.Steal the use of my much more expensive dirt?Ah thats cool.Unless an object is not removed from our possession in Pa our government thinks it is okay.Local police here wouldn't even come to my house for a stolen boat.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you Hiamovi.

It will only be a few more months until I get to the property for good so I will personally mitigate it when I get there and have time to monitor the situation. Again, I am not out to completely shut down my property to everyone that may like to hunt there but I do demand respect before someone does use my land. I am surrounded on three sides by large wooded tracks. A "trespasser" does not bode well and I agree with your comments. I did call the folks at the game commission to see what my options are and they simply said "take the stand"... I look forward to meeting this individual and having the discussion.

Chaos

·
Banned
540 Posts
You are taking an approach that is to be commended. You said you called gc. I would also call state police and inform them. If the trooper won't come out. Then I would provide pics of stand. Then GPS cordinate of your property line and where stand is. Then make them fully aware that they will be called and expected to show up in a timely fashion. I would also make sure a supervisor would be aware of the situation.
Also you could hide a cam 12 foot up a tree and get pics of him.
Otherwise it's hope for the best by trying to contact him.
Remember if you can talk to him at the stand and tell him to leave and he doesnt. It becomes criminal tresspass. You also have the right to stand your ground in this state anywhere. I've had a xbow pointed in my direction already. Trying to get a guy out. Till I pulled my shirt back so he could see my 45.
It's amazing how his attitude changed. Climbed down the tree packed his climber and said sorry on the way out. It can be done but takes patience and persistence.
Hope it works out by the notes and talking.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.