The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seen this posted by Niner:

Has he been properly introduced to the gun?
It started me thinking. How do others first introduce a gun to a new pup? It has been many years since I had a young pup. I have two of them now and will be going about the task in a few weeks. One pup is the adventurous type and the other is a "me too" or follower at this stage. I know some will change and both should be just fine but I am thinking I may have a challenge with the one.

Looking for tips and suggestions. Thanks in advance. Waugh!

·
Registered
24,735 Posts
Once they are running a rabbit I bring the starter pistol..while they are running a bunny I fire. Same with a bird dog once they are chasing I fire.

I don't worry about the gun till they are running well.. and then it goes real smooth when they are engaged in the chase.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Smoke'n Mack said:
First time they hear the gun is the first rabbit you shoot over them. Has worked with the dogs I've raised.
- I've never shot over a pup before we were actually hunting, of course they don't go on a hunting trip before they are staying with the pack without fail. Even if you miss the rabbit they see the other hounds get fired up even more when the shot goes off..never had one problem with gun shy hounds.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Andy Purnell said:
Smoke'n Mack said:
First time they hear the gun is the first rabbit you shoot over them. Has worked with the dogs I've raised.
- I've never shot over a pup before we were actually hunting, of course they don't go on a hunting trip before they are staying with the pack without fail. Even if you miss the rabbit they see the other hounds get fired up even more when the shot goes off..never had one problem with gun shy hounds.
I guess I should have said "first rabbit you shoot AT over them"...then again, if my gun goes off, the death rate is high. LOL

·
Registered
170 Posts
timberdoodle said:
Once they are running a rabbit I bring the starter pistol..while they are running a bunny I fire. Same with a bird dog once they are chasing I fire.

I don't worry about the gun till they are running well.. and then it goes real smooth when they are engaged in the chase.
sound advice---t he key is 2 fold
1- thay must be totally focused on ?????? bird/ bunny ------ years ago eating was even used sometimes
2- first shot is best deliverd at distance & moves progressively closer determined buy pups lack of reaction to shot

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I have always shot around the pups when hey are very young. Most young animals are not as fearful when young. Watch the pups reaction when you shoot, if it does not get frightened then you, can shoot some more and closer to the pup. If it shows any sign of fear you stop for the day and try again later from farther away. Never had a problem doing it this way, When I say about being young I am talking about under eight weeks. Being this young or not much older they seem more tolerant to the noise. Only ever had one that was gun shy and she was seven months old when I bought her, took about two to three weeks to get her over it.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
jimbridger said:
Solo hunt or pack hunt? Waugh!
It has been years since I hunted a dog solo...I am one of the guys that doesn't do a lot with one hound at a time. Sometimes I hunt a brace, sometimes a trio but more often than not I run 4.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The question was for smoke'n mack because he said the first shot is during the hunt. I have found this to work wonders when hunting a pup in a pack. I have also seen it work the wrong way when hunting solo over a pup or a pup with just one other dog.

Heck I had seen pups run back to the owner when the veteran dog opened up let alone a shot. LOL. Waugh

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
jimbridger said:
The question was for smoke'n mack because he said the first shot is during the hunt. I have found this to work wonders when hunting a pup in a pack. I have also seen it work the wrong way when hunting solo over a pup or a pup with just one other dog.

Heck I had seen pups run back to the owner when the veteran dog opened up let alone a shot. LOL. Waugh
It's never been solo. If they are scared when the older dogs open (which I have seen...for like 20 seconds), then they aren't "running", or ready for the gun.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for clearing that up. A lot of things that work for hounds in a pack just does not work when training a pup without other dogs. Waugh!

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
I've managed to start all mine by taking them out in the dove fields b4 the first season. Let them run loose doing whatever and pop off a few doves as they pay no attention to me. Never a gun shy beagle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts