The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping to have my son use my TC Inline this season for Buck,he is ten and a mentor hunter. I want him to start shooting.I currently shoot 777 pellets and 250 grain shockwaves. What do you suggest as a load for him to start with?Should I buy granular pwder and start at say 50 grains? I am going to put him at the 50 yard range to start,just want him to get used to recoil,once he gets comfortable shooting then we will concentrate on hunting load at 100 yards. Thanks

·
Registered
12,528 Posts
ten year olds can be very small or quite huge. The recoail affects them according to their size. If he is average or smaller, the stock won't even fit him. Start low, maybe 40 grains, or better yet load up with only 30 grains and shoot some patched balls. With low loads the gun should fire patched balls ok. Get his confidence up and work up to the hunting bullet and load. If he is a big ten year old, you can start with the 50 grains and the large bullet. It will be more of a shove than a kick for the recoil, at thhat load.

·
Registered
394 Posts
At that age I would turn him on to real muzzy the flintlock. we have to keep the tradition alive! There is just about no recoil with a flintlock and real black powder

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Id say 2 pellets of pyrodex and the 250grn shockwave. has he shot guns that have recoil before? if hes up for it let him shoot it a full charge.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
To me thats why to many kids and ladies quit shooting. Whoever is teaching them isnt thinking. When someone hasnt shot anything the worst thing you can do is start them out with something with a ton of recoil. Start with something smaller like a .22 to let them get the feel for a rifle and all that goes with shooting them gradually work up to larger calibers or in this case bigger loads.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Dale Sholder said:
To me thats why to many kids and ladies quit shooting. Whoever is teaching them isnt thinking. When someone hasnt shot anything the worst thing you can do is start them out with something with a ton of recoil. Start with something smaller like a .22 to let them get the feel for a rifle and all that goes with shooting them gradually work up to larger calibers or in this case bigger loads.
I dont wanna hijack this thread but the reason people quit shooting is false fear, they have no reason to be scared of shooting but are. everyone ive ever took shooting dont mind recoil after they find out its not gonna hurt them and its not as bad as they though it was gonna be. of course a kid isnt gonna wanna shoot a gun if your more nervous about it then they are.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
mfwing82 said:
At that age I would turn him on to real muzzy the flintlock. we have to keep the tradition alive! There is just about no recoil with a flintlock and real black powder
I agree---I think we figure a kid must meet immediate success with todays modern (anything) However---a quality flintlock will excite kids even more---show him the movie Last of the Mohicans and that longgun!! Good luck and thanks for simply spending time with your kid--One dad to another! Its sad but with my job I see 90 percent of the kids at my school never spending time with dad ever.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
At the Butler Co Youth Field Day we always let the kids, if they want, shoot a .50 Percussion (CVA Bobcats). We load a PRB over 35gr of 2F BP.

This year we had close to 300 signed up and we used about 250 Round Balls so most of the kids choose to burn some powder.

Safety Glasses and quality ear protection are a must for kids.

·
Registered
57 Posts
During flinter season this past year my flintlocks were out and my then eight year old son asked if he could shoot one. I loaded my T/C Renegade flintlock with 50 grains of FFg and a patched round ball, took him out to the back of our property, set him up on some shooting sticks and let him shoot. He has begging me for a flintlock of his own ever since. A patched round ball with a roughly half load of powder is extremely mild. My sons biggest problem was being able to hold the rifle up, hence the shooting sticks. I've thought about getting him something lighter but I have a tough time with the idea of buying some of the rifles that are on the market and, forgive me for saying this, just look and feel plain cheap to me. He'll probably get my Renegade and we'll depend on shooting sticks until he can hold it up on his own.

He and my older son are hooked though, my 14 year old from the history aspect, and my now 9 year old just because he loves to shoot.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just an update,I just got home from range with son,he started off with .22 with iron sights,did ok. He then said "dad lets go shot the muzzy,Im ready for some more power".I loaded him up with 2 trip. seven pellets and 150 grain shockwave and he did great! His groups were right next to mine,about three inches high at 75 yards,Did not complain about kick at all. I dont know if he was more excited or if I was! He will be ready for firearm season. Woo Hoo!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts