The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i have a question and need a wco's help. Please others back off untill i get a actual answer from a wco then i dont care what you say. However this is a argumentary subject/question and i really would like a answer. Is it possiable for two people to each tag the same bear? So another words if you took a bear if your lucky enough to get a bear and you and your hunting buddy, both put a tag in each ear (the bear stamp) if you both tug it is there a violation when brought to the check station. If this is an unclear question please acknowledge and i will RESTATE this question. I think i put this in the most clear and straight forward as possible. Thank you im just curious if we do get lucky enough to harvest one this year.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Team work guys. Sounds like a dedicated couple of hunters.

Lets honor his request to hold off until he gets an answer from one of the resident WCO's or JohnS.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Only thing in the regulations is that large game animals must be tagged. You can shoot one doe also if you want and you and your buddy can tag it with all your doe tags also. Knock yourself out. But once you both tag the animal neither of those tags can be used again.

That must be a big bear or a rare one and both might want to keep each other in check when it comes to rent it out for a large amount of money by having both hunters tagging it.

Maybe you found a two head bear out there in the woods.

Or maybe you are like siamease twins who are joined at the hips maybe also?

You don't have to file joint for hunting if this is your first time hunting.This is not like taxes you know.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I don't know why anyone would want to do that, however it would not be illegal, BUT, when you took it to the check station, only one person's information will be recorded as the person who killed the animal. Perhaps you would be kind enough to enlighten us as to why you asked the question.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
There are so many comments that I want to make right now about that question, but I will refrain from making them because I don't want to go into "Timeout."

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
The actual person who killed the bear must have a tag on the bear. No way around that single point. If the hunter that actually harvested the bear does not have a tag on the bear it will be a violation. As to multiple tags---- Technically it will be a violation to complete a tag and place it on the Bear that the hunter did not harvest. NOW, will you be cited for such a violation? Probably not – but will there be some questions asked and eyes rolled and a few chuckles from the crowd ….. You bet.

Timber

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Bluetick said:
Team work guys. Sounds like a dedicated couple of hunters.

Lets honor his request to hold off until he gets an answer from one of the resident WCO's or JohnS.

Thanks in advance.
OK,

So, I was going to post something again last night but Refrained like you Bluetick asked till John or 1 of the other answered...

So here goes what I was going to post seeing John Responded...

350mag12 and his buddy are out hunting bear...350mag12 shoots a bear... his buddy comes running over, they both Wip out thier license and each pull thier bear tag out... they each fill out thier tags....

As they both are attaching thier taps to an ear of the bear.. ALONG comes walking out of the Brush the BIGGEST State Record Bear Ever to be seen in PA......

What are they going to do?

DOH...They just messed up and tagged a bear with 2 tags that ONLY Needed 1 tag!
They Both are Now Done Hunting Bear!

They both stand there and kick each other literly in the back side for putting both tags on 1 bear!

The only thing I can see out of this is 2 things...
1 is they each want Bragging rights to have a tag filled out to say they shot a bear in PA

OR
2 They want to some how split the skin between them and want a tag to go along with it.....

What ever the reason... putting 2 tags on a bear or deer or turkey just seem straight out Stupid to do!

1 guy who never fired the shot is done hunting and has to stand and watch record book what evers walk right along and laugh at him while it walks by him!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Timber it would not be a violation, it would be a violation if the guy who killed the bear did not tag it, there is no violation of the game code for tagging a bear that you didn't kill. If the guys friend wants to waste his tag for whatever reason, (none that I can think of) he can do so but he is done hunting bear at that point. There have been people who letgitimately have found a fresh animal they did not kill and after waiting to see if someone was tracking it put their tag on it so it would not go to waste, no violation there. It would be interesting to watch when the bear got to the check station with two tags on it. I actually once came upon two men on gamelands 156 who had both shot a deer, the first guy shot it and it kept going, then the second guy shot it and put it down not knowing the deer was hit, actually it wasn't a mortal wound from the first shot. The talked about it and decided to share the deer and call it a day and they both tagged it. I told them to decide which one was going to send in the report card and congratulated them for being civilized and went on my way.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Ok, so you got your answer. Now, please tell us why they would want to do such a thing. Puurrdy please!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
well now that this again once open to comments
thay may have decided to hunt as a driver & stander team
& feel if both do the work both split the reward
or thay have the Hopefully next record book bear located & would like both there names to go down in history

gotta give them credit as it appears thay have decided to
act like sportsman & taking the time too see if
its leagle

·
Registered
141 Posts
I might get flamed for this but....

I like to hunt... I was never one to always have to fill my tags.

When I would go hunting with buddies and if they harvested an animal, I think the smile on my face was wider then if i harvested it myself.

We would always work as a team and was always happy for the other person.

One year first day of rifle a buddy harvested a mighty fine 8 pt. He radio'd to me and I went to assist. After taggin and gutting it, I started dragging it. He asked me what the heck I was doing. I said its time to celebrate and get it back to the house. His reply was its 8 am, You stay and hunt and I'll do it.

I didnt care to hunt anymore, I had all the memories for that season I needed.

Now I dunno if I would have applied my tag to it, but I had more fun listening to him re tell his event to everyone he knew.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello thank you all very much for your insights. I would like to thank bluetick for telling everybody to hold off untill johns or a wco responded THANK YOU SO MUCH. Now the reason why i posted this questions is because i herd after someone shot a bear the bear did a death moan. The person who shot the bear was done hunting after that and me and my buddy if the bear does the moan we will be done hunting bears. We will also split the bear that is why i was asking.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
They don't always moan. You can share the animal without double tagging it. Serious question, are you a junior hunter?

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
You certainly have asked an odd question, and it sounds like you and your pal made a 'death moan pact" if you will. That said, I'd just use one tag to avoid unnecessary confusion, then you can celebrate by burning the others tag in effigy.

I can tell you that after witnessing a young 4 pt. suffer after an archery spine shot, I never hunted archery again... that was 1985. So in a way I reckon I can relate to your plan.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
John,

Finding an unclaimed animal and tagging it is ethical and I guess legal. However, knowingly tagging an animal that you did not harvest with the full knowledge of who actually harvested the animal is a violation. If it is not then I could kill a deer and then call my wife to come and tag it and then continue hunting. In reality it is a violation is it not ?

Timber

On a side note : My last post wast edited by Bluetick......However what I posted was pretty funny but I guess that is between myself and BT !!!

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Just use one tag and enjoy the memory together if your lucky enough to have encountered it. Dont waste a tag, you may end up and change your mind an hour after you fill out both tags.

Cherish the moment, thats all.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
I see the point timber is trying to make and understand his view.

If timber shoot a doe and put his wifes tag on it and would be proven, he would be guilty.

By that he is saying its illegal to put 350's bear tag on his buddies bear. But is it really if 350's buddy also tags the bear first?

·
Registered
141 Posts
NO, the original shooter of the bear would still have their tag on it. Plus the extra one,..

Maybe he likes matching ear rings?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts