The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had our youth hunt today and one of the people there came up and told us he thinks the wild pheasant program is working. He lives inside the WPRA and he said he counted 32 pheasants in a farmers driveway this week. I love hearing those stories. Last winter we had a farmer tell us he had over 70 birds in his field and couldn't get an accurate count because they kept moving around

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Springfreak, where are you. Your info says NW PA. There are no wild pheasant programs in the NW.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
That's a cool story Lynn,I love hearing that too,whenever you hear those things please let us know.I wish the guys from Pike Run area were on this forum.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
LynnAppelman said:
Springfreak, where are you. Your info says NW PA. There are no wild pheasant programs in the NW.
There used to be a lot of wild pheasants here, or at least carryovers from previous seasons, but those days are long gone, too bad..

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These birds are certainly moving. We have seen it and that is what wild pheasants normally do. They spread out. Males will defend a crowing area and call hens in. This naturally spreads them out across the landscape.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're right G & B. Habitat is the key to making these reintroduction programs work. CREP is an important part of the formula and we need to work to keep it and expand it to increase the pheasant and future quail program.

·
Registered
8,129 Posts
The whole program stinks and we should scrap it all.Ok I got to take advantage of my new medicine that gives me anger moods

I cant wait to see the habitat on our project when it really starts to flourish.My suggestion at the next meeting is let 100 dogs in the area and fence it in so all the manure stays in there.Cant do cattle those buggers would eat all our plants

Lynn Great job.Thanks for sharing the story.Take care,Paul...

·
Registered
513 Posts
Lynn,
I have ventured out to the Danville are 2 out of the last 3 weekends to check out the progress and work the dog(since it is a non-hunting area I don't believe it is closed to dog training during the youth season). I can say 1st hand that the habitat in many areas is amazing. I saw a bunch of hens crossing the street around Comley Rd.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
live near the Pike Run area where wild pheasents were introduced several years ago. I don't see them in large numbers, but I see birds fairly often. The reason I feel it is working to some extent, I will see wild birds in the strangest places, 8 or 10 miles from pike run. This tells me the birds are traveling, possibly looking for a home range they are able to reproduce.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
beck trt, Thanks for the report,it is great to hear from that area of the state!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts