The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find it interesting that there are 45 more success photos in the archery forum than this one. I would think rifle hunters would have a higher success rate than archers. Just an observation.

·
Registered
12,195 Posts
Rifle hunters is a strange and secretive breed. They are not given to much sharing and if truth be known, I think they, as a group, are responsibe for the majority of Big Foot sightings. Probably responsibe for the bulk of burbon purchases at the Wine and Spirits stores too.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Maybe more archery hunters, then gun hunters, since they get first crack at the better bucks.

·
Registered
18,708 Posts
We have about 290000 archers and they harvested 37000 bucks last year. Success rate of about 13 percent. We have about 750000 deer hunters. When we take the successful archers out of those numbers and decrease the total buck kill by the number of bucks already killed during archery, those hunters harvested 90760 bucks for a success rate of about 13 percent.

Rifle hunters have two weeks and archers have nine weeks to accomplish the same level of success it appears.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Retiredusne8 said:
Maybe more archery hunters, then gun hunters, since they get first crack at the better bucks.
and, since there are a lot of big bucks hiding among the suburban sprawl, they can hunt 51 yds from all the houses. just ask me, i'm from 2B!

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Well, my feeling is that archery hunters have more time, or put in more time than rifle hunters.
I hunted 24 days in archery, averaging 4 hrs each time, that a total of 96 hours. Oddly enough, if I rifle hunted every day I could for 8 hours each time in rifle season, I would have also totaled 96 hours.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
archery/bow hunters are deer hunting,scouting watching freaks and are very proud of their ocomplishments, not saying that gun hunters arent. note most people that post here that share their success are bowhunters. out of all the people that consistantly post here id say most bow hunt.
I also agree with jimsdads post. more greed,less talk and more hush amongst gun hunters.
also to most gun hunters a deer is a deer, they just hunt to shoot deer. while bowhunters look at any kill as a trophy and are very proud of their sucess.

go ahead and bash away, but the truth is fall bow hunting is a lifestyle and gun season is just sitting in the woods and shooting deer.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
turkey4life said:
. more greed,less talk and more hush amongst gun hunters.
also to most gun hunters a deer is a deer, they just hunt to shoot deer. while bowhunters look at any kill as a trophy and are very proud of their sucess.

go ahead and bash away, but the truth is fall bow hunting is a lifestyle and gun season is just sitting in the woods and shooting deer.
We'll see how this one unfolds.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
lots more time put into bowhunting and muzzleloading also. anyone can go buy a rifle get it to group good at 100yds and go out one day a year and get lucky and harvest a deer.
dont have anything against rifle hunting but thats the way it is.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Here's an idea .... Take rifle hunters out of the mix there license buying revenue
& their just sitting in the woods simplicity
& see how long your rights as bow hunters last....this absolutely makes the case for
Stopping exclusive seasons and or for any weapon...
They have no part in wildlife mgt practice which is the fundamental proposition for modern day hunting...
Now we are manufacturing factions of elitists in our own brotherhoods...
Brilliant!!!

·
Registered
13,454 Posts
i don't think bowhunters are a group of elitists. but on average, there are probably more gun hunters who are pretty casual about the sport. hope nobody takes this personal.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My observation is that most hunters would love to have the extra time to bow hunt. If they had more time, they would also do fall and spring turkey as well as bear.

Hunters love hunting and the ones that go out only for rifle probably cant take the time off to bow hunt.

I know that most years, I dont have time to do bow hunting.

In my mind, bow hunting is much easier. The deer are not pushed yet and they are starting to do their their scrapes, rubs, chasing, etc.

·
Registered
166 Posts
the real answer is: Unless you were told that you cant hunt with a certian weapon then youcan buy a tag and hunt with whatever you want. So don't slam anybody's weapon or season we can all hunt in any season we choose

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I started this post with just an observation that I found it surprising that the archery forum had more success post than rifle hunters. In now way was this to infer that one is better than the other.

·
Registered
457 Posts
turkey4life said:
archery/bow hunters are deer hunting,scouting watching freaks and are very proud of their ocomplishments, not saying that gun hunters arent. note most people that post here that share their success are bowhunters. out of all the people that consistantly post here id say most bow hunt.
I also agree with jimsdads post. more greed,less talk and more hush amongst gun hunters.

Well said no offence to any gun hunter's but I've seen people running around like Rambo when it's shotgun season in 5c when I'm out bowhunting. I noticed bow season the woods are dead soon as shotguns in it's a mad house at every gameland. But I like any type of hunting dosnt matter gun or bow I just love being in the woods anything should be considered a trophy no matter gun or bow.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Bowhunting is more prevelant now. 20 years ago it was elite! With the equipment now, its a real head turner. I am a archer, but I haven't bow hunted in a few years due to my lack of practice time with work and all. Now, I retired my ol '06 for a Handi-Rifle in 44 mag. If your gonna be a successful bow hunter, you have to put your time in, scout, and know deer. Especially on the SGL's... So its tougher... they deserve the 9 weeks!

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
Here we go again. Look, I understand that we all have our favorite deer season and we all would like more time to hunt them, but comparing one season to another like you don't have a CHOICE is disingenuous to say the least.

The PGC sets the deer seasons to give DEER hunters as many opportunities to hunt the resource as possible and still accomplish their goal of reducing the herd to protect the resource.

The CHOICES for ALL deer hunters are: ARCHERY and/or GUN and/or ML. It's YOUR CHOICE to choose ANY or ALL.

I've DEER hunted in ALL deer seasons since the early 70's, and there is no "ELITIST" deer season, only "ELITIST" deer hunters.

What we all must remember is while we all like to hunt deer we do not all have the same abilities, desire, intrests, and time to deer hunt.

Before YOU ask for any changes remember, what goes for ONE of us goes for ALL OF US.

More importantly ask yourself what impact your desire would have on the resource.

As deer hunters NONE of US DERSERVE or GET anything better than the rest of US. IT'S OUR CHOICE!

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
whil e kioti said:
Here we go again. Look, I understand that we all have our favorite deer season and we all would like more time to hunt them, but comparing one season to another like you don't have a CHOICE is disingenuous to say the least.

The PGC sets the deer seasons to give DEER hunters as many opportunities to hunt the resource as possible and still accomplish their goal of reducing the herd to protect the resource.

The CHOICES for ALL deer hunters are: ARCHERY and/or GUN and/or ML. It's YOUR CHOICE to choose ANY or ALL.

I've DEER hunted in ALL deer seasons since the early 70's, and there is no "ELITIST" deer season, only "ELITIST" deer hunters.

What we all must remember is while we all like to hunt deer we do not all have the same abilities, desire, intrests, and time to deer hunt.

Before YOU ask for any changes remember, what goes for ONE of us goes for ALL OF US.

More importantly ask yourself what impact your desire would have on the resource.

As deer hunters NONE of US DERSERVE or GET anything better than the rest of US. IT'S OUR CHOICE!
This is THE only answer! Thank you!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts