The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found it interesting that over the first 4 days our catch numbers have dropped by about 50% each day. It makes perfect sense because we had the same weather conditions for the four days.

Day 1 = 16
Day 2 = 8
Day 3 = 3
Day 4 = 1

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have found it as a 'GENERAL' rule that if you make yourself pull your traps after the third day you will have enough seed left to have a good harvest the next year.Longer than that you are taking too many.After the third day your catch will drop off dramaticaly and won't come back anyway.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Interesting but that has been my history when we had muskrats to trap. Day 2 would be half of day 1 and day 3 would be half of day 2.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Problem with leaving seed is in some areas there might be another trapper or two waiting till you pull out and they kill your seed. Problem really got bad when rats hit 10 bucks. I once took a leak in my backyard and 5 minutes later there were two different trappers attempting to set 110s in the puddle...haha.

·
Registered
92 Posts
AGREE if you have a muskrat population, 2 days and let it go. I wish I could catch 16 in a day. I would have left then.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Our percentage was not that good though. To get those 16 muskrats on day 1 we had out almost 100 traps in 6 locations. The total check time took 2 hours. And so far we lost three rats to wring-offs. Two traps had front feet and one had a back foot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts