The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So guys last year I put out a mineral block and the it took the deer a little while to use it, but once they found it they hammered it. there was only like 1/4 of a block left so I crumbled it and put on a dirt mound where it absorbed into the ground. I then put out the new block about 100 yards away. Its been over a month and the deer still wont hit the new block. But theyve been ripping apart the dirt mound to get to the minerals. Should I just grind the other block up and put it on the dirtmound? or will they eventually use it?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
they probably like chewing up the dirt and getting the minerals that way. Im having trouble getting the deer to use my two newest mineral sites as well. How long did it take for your deer to start hitting the new block.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I set up a mineral site in March. It looks likes the deer have not directly touched it. However, 2 to 3 ft away, they are tearing the ground up. I am starting to believe, they prefer the minerals with the dirt vs just minerals.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
mix it with the dirt and if you want instant hits, throw a few handfuls of corn on top. they will come to eat the corn and realize minerals are there too. Have fun, keep us posted!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Mine always get hit after they have dissolved,i have started putting them out in late january and by spring they are getting hit hard.Ive also began using granulated and it works quick too. Now if i could only figure out why my moultrie I60 stopped workin I'd be all set.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
like 4c says, ya need to get them there first. I always put a few drops of anise oil out on the block, and then a few drops on a cotton ball suspended above it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts