The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Been doing it with the atv for years, just as he is suggesting. The only "problem" would be a hard pan developing, which can be overcome with radishes, or simply hiring someone to till my plot when it does come to that.

Most people do not understand how easy it is to create a plot with the smaller seeds, like clover and brassica, with few pieces of large equipment.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Do you think hard pan is a problem in a state like PA? I would think the natural freezing and thawing of the ground would help to loosen the soil.

My concern with no till is liming. If you spread lime on top the ground without working into the ground, I always wondered how much was lost to run off.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had great success with food plots on hard pan by simply running over with a drag harrow which are relatively cheap compared to all the other pieces of tillage equipment out there.

I had a big tractor, discs, reverse tine tiller,....sold it all and went with a good sprayer, seeder and drag harrow for my UTV.

I've since gone a different direction by planting wildlife tree and shrubs and making some clear cuts in the woods. Just think some folks might be interested to know you don't have to put huge money into equipment to get a nice food plot.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
It certainly is preferable to disc in lime, thats for sure. Even using a tiller would be a good idea.

Hard pan? Yes, little chance if you are using an atv. Again, plant the right things, and that can help break up soil. Plant Groundhog radishes in the fall and allow them to aerate your soil naturally, plus, great deer food.

I have been making plots with a sprayer and atv since 2000. Here is one I did for the PGC LMO who is a friend of mine.

Here is how it looked once the deer used it.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Seems like there was something on this topic in the latest issues of one of the popular hunting mags.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
automated11 said:
wow those radishes are HUGE
Purple top turnips. Ate enough of them when I was a kid, hated them then, but deer, bears and turkeys love them.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Having done both I'll take a tractor any day of the week. Plus they are more fun! Sure, you can grow great plots with minimal equipment but you will have more failures.

I thought about going no till this year but not being able to till in fertilizer, especially nitrogen, is a big problem. Had I no tilled my brassicas this year I would have lost all of the nitrogen I applied b/c it didn't rain for a week. Disking the fertilizer saved it.

Did I mention that tractors are a lot of fun
Good discussion though.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
This is my first year with a tractor. Without a doubt both methods have there place, but my quad equipment (disc and mower) will soon be for sale.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts