The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad picked up an Interarms Mark X in .308 w/custom wood.

All reviews show these to be a very good action.

Anyone have any experiences?

I cant wait to get my hands on this rifle later tonight. It was custom built in 1980 by a local gun smith. This is one of his first projects while he was still a high school kid. He now run a high end shop and does some beautiful wood work on his firearms.

I'll post a pic when I get to see it.

·
Registered
25,496 Posts
Zastava (Yugoslavia) M98 pattern commercial actions, not bad guns.

Basically the same action used on lots of other imported Mauser 98-type rifles, before Interarms came up with the Mark X moniker.

Same action as used on the Charles Daly imports, later imported by Remington.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Good guns. Their factory offerings were heavy buggers, had enough wood in the stock to pass for a barn beam. Should be sweet with the custom stock.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I had 2 with custom stocks. Parted with 1 of them. Decent guns. Dont like the trigger though. Neither are tack drivers.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got back from checking it out. I forgot my camera...uuggg

Beautiful piece of wood.

This guy worked the trigger, nice and crisp, guessing it goes off at about 2#'s.

Cant wait to scope it and see how she shoots.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
What Denny said. They are excellent actions for the money though they can be a bit rough when new. I've had a number of them over the years and all were good rifles. Also they are a bit heavy simply because they are an honest all steel action. Not too many actions are made that way anymore.

Muab Dib

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Have one in .375 H&H. Good shooter, still not totally sure of accuracy potential, only tried one factory load so far. Mine came with a Timney (SP?) adjustable trigger in it, so no problems there. Mine also origianlly came with a beautiful thmbhole stock, but I traded that out for one of the Remington 798 laminate stocks. Who's the local smith?

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chumley...Rod Fox is who built this gun. The guy does some incredible work for being in such a small town.

Check out his web site (that I created for him
)

http://rfoxcustomsinc.com/index.html

·
Registered
434 Posts
Paul Jaeger Custom Guns used to build rifles on the Mark X and they never spared expense when they put guns together

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
My dad built me a Mark X chambered in .270 Win. I think he bought the barreled action new in 1990 but the action was actually manufactured in 1969 and sitting on a shelf at a local gun shop for several years. He put an english walnut stock on it with an ebony forend tip and grip cap and a shadowline cheek piece.

The gun shoots like a champ. Not quite the precision of a bench rest gun, but about as close as you can get with factory ammo. The action works really smooth.

He also built me another in 7mm Mag about 3 year later, but the action was much newer and was very sloppy compared to my .270. Like most stuff, I think quality went down in time. The it was supposed be chambered in 7mm-.08 but when be barreled the gun with a Douglas barrel, the chamber chattered and he had to re chamber it as a magnum. Turns out all barrels that were made in that lot had soft spots and several of the guys he went in on when buying the barrels had the same problem. The gun shot alright, but nothing like my .270.

The nice things about most Mauser or Mauser type actions is that they are very simple to work on and are made of quality steel. When I was younger, we tried to blow one up for the local sportsmen's club to use in their hunter ed class and we found that it was tougher to do than most portray. 15 shots later through mud filled barrels and the only problem was a broken stock and a 1/2" split at the muzzle.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chumley...yes if you turn left in West Freedom at the firehall. That will take you to his shop.

Your best bet would be to call him before you head out. His phone numbers are on the web site.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts