The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have information on insuring a cabin? Our insurance company doesn't sound like they're much interesting in insuring a cabin without all common amenities and with a woodstove.

·
Registered
21,274 Posts
I don't know a lot about it, but you might need some sort of rider on your home owners policy.

·
Registered
25,712 Posts
Another "vote" for Erie. I now have all of my insurance - including camp, with a local Erie agent. But camp is "lumped in" with my homeowners.

At one time had my trucks with Liberty Mutual and home owners with Allstate. Both managed to tick me off for various reasons and it's all now with Erie.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Mine is through Nationwide its 85.00 a month for $120.000 and it covers structure and full contents and i have a wood burner , and propane furnace that is on all year. I have had 2 burglaries and all was covered including 2 deer mounts and a duck. So far i have been satisfied with them .

·
Registered
3,460 Posts

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Mine is through Nationwide its 85.00 a month for $120.000 and it covers structure and full contents and i have a wood burner , and propane furnace that is on all year. I have had 2 burglaries and all was covered including 2 deer mounts and a duck. So far i have been satisfied with them .
Kinda interesting. How did the insurance adjuster value the duck???? Id have told them I shot that duck in Manitoba Canada on a guided hunt and Ill have to go back to Manitoba to get another one. And the deer??? Shot them on a guided hunt in Saskatchewan. :grin2:

·
Registered
202 Posts
They based it in the cost of the taxidermy. I have to be honest when I tell you that they just asked me what it cost to have them done and what i told them , they paid , and that was it. I don't know if they take the cost of the experience in consideration for the overall cost however i was satisfied. Also i never met with a adjuster , they went off the Police report I filed.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
They based it in the cost of the taxidermy. I have to be honest when I tell you that they just asked me what it cost to have them done and what i told them , they paid , and that was it. I don't know if they take the cost of the experience in consideration for the overall cost however i was satisfied. Also i never met with a adjuster , they went off the Police report I filed.

Johnny I wasn't being serious. Sorry, sometimes my idea of humor is almost as bad as Bucksnorts's.>:)

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have Millville Mutal, as well. Mine is $240/year for $30,000 of coverage with a woodstove. There was no issue with the woodstove, I just had to prove it was the min. distances away from combustibles and send a picture.

·
Registered
27 Posts
We also have Millville Mutual. It runs us $340 per year for $50,000 coverage. We also have a woodstove and they didnt give us any problems, just had to send pictures.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We have Erie for our home and auto and an umbrella policy. My wife contacted our local Erie office and they were very reluctant and said they may not cover the cabin. I think the fact that we will not have electricity and will be using propane and woodstove scared them.

·
Registered
9,975 Posts
Millville Mutual for me also, less than $100/year. I have a little shack; heat with propane.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts