The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went up to our cabin 2 weeks ago with my father to put out trail cameras and check on camp. Everything seemed normal. Then went up this past thursday into Friday with a buddy to check cameras and scout for deer when we came across a burnt down cabin. It definitely was not burnt down the week before. On our way home we called the sproul state office and reported it. They had no clue. Couple days later the cabins owner called my buddy and the dcnr or state fire Marshall determined it was arson. I checked with my treasurer about our insurance and he said we didn't have any due to no electric ran to the building and he thinks because it has a stone foundation. I was wondering if anyone could help me out and let me know if there is a insurance company that they know of that would insure this state lease cabin even if it's for fire damage for $30k.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The problem with insurance on these type of cabins is that it is hard to get them to insure them for the true cost to rebuild if anything would happen. We had a policy on ours which was destroyed by wind shear last year, but it was impossible to rebuild for the policy payout.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
The problem with insurance on these type of cabins is that it is hard to get them to insure them for the true cost to rebuild if anything would happen. We had a policy on ours which was destroyed by wind shear last year, but it was impossible to rebuild for the policy payout.

Then you had it underinsured.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
bobcat85 I suggest you pm dce, he is an insurance agent. If anyone here can help you Doug can

Reactions: RacksnQuacks

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
And the problem with those leases not being properly insured is you can not sell the lease without a cabin on the lot. You have nothing to sell! Better have proper insurance.

·
Banned
163 Posts
I went up to our cabin 2 weeks ago with my father to put out trail cameras and check on camp. Everything seemed normal. Then went up this past thursday into Friday with a buddy to check cameras and scout for deer when we came across a burnt down cabin. It definitely was not burnt down the week before. On our way home we called the sproul state office and reported it. They had no clue. Couple days later the cabins owner called my buddy and the dcnr or state fire Marshall determined it was arson. I checked with my treasurer about our insurance and he said we didn't have any due to no electric ran to the building and he thinks because it has a stone foundation. I was wondering if anyone could help me out and let me know if there is a insurance company that they know of that would insure this state lease cabin even if it's for fire damage for $30k.
anything can be insured.... you may just not like the premiums

·
Registered
394 Posts
Then you had it underinsured.
Ryanlefever is right. Most insurance companies will not insure a cabin to its Replacement Cost due to the risk of loss. Most will only insure them to Actual Cash Value, which by definition is the Replacement Cost minus depreciation. So, in the event of a loss, you get a depreciated amount. This isn't true in all cases, but it is in most.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
That may be, but it is sure better than bearing the entire rebuild costs.

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
anything can be insured.... you may just not like the premiums
At one time that was the case but it's not the case anymore.Most companies really cracked down on their underwriting rules around 2012 and started inspecting every property.Most companies use a sub-contracted inspection company and they nitpick everything.It's gotten a little better but it was a nightmare for several years.I had some customers who bought a pretty rough house near Medix to make into a camp.I tried several companies and nobody would touch it.As a last resort,I tried to write it through the fair plan,which is a state subsidized program.They ended up rejecting it,Which I've never seen happen before.I ended up calling a bunch of agents and found someone in Potter county that had a small mutual company who weren't doing inspections at the time.These remote camps that are more than 5 miles from a fire dept and are on roads with no winter maintenance are just poor risks and a tough nut to crack.I would call a few local agents in that area because they see these situations more and may have a company or two willing to look at the risk.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Or post you outside the cabin and make the vandals laugh themselves to death.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
I just got a few quotes yesterday on a lease camp. They were between 275-and 400 dollars a year for 25k fire insurance and 100k in liability.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
No you would,t you already admitted you are a scaredy cat.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you guys very much for the info and the laughs I will look into some local companies and go from there. The cabin that burnt is on Robinson road which is just west of the black forest inn.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
One of the quotes was through a local Allstate agency, and the other was through a local Erie agency. I'm not sure who the quotes were actually with though. I know the quote from the Allstate agency was through someone other than Allstate.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Millville mutual, millville pennsylvania, 20 minutes north of bloomsburg pa. They will insure any cabin and will work with you on rates......but if you want 100,000 of coverage its gonna be pretty spendy. I believe our is for 40,000 and its 500 a year.

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
One of the quotes was through a local Allstate agency, and the other was through a local Erie agency. I'm not sure who the quotes were actually with though. I know the quote from the Allstate agency was through someone other than Allstate.
Most likely American modern.Another big hang up with many companies is that they require the structure to be on a solid and continuous foundation.A pad or crawlspace is fine,piers are not.Last I knew State farm would write them if they were on piers.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts